Thread: 1855/1861 barrel dimensions?

Region:
    Visitor

1855/1861 barrel dimensions?

I picked up a NOS unmarked reproduction 1855/1861 barrel recently, and I'm thinking of building a type 1 or 2 Springfield '55 R-M with it- provided I can get a lock put together for it. I'm on the hunt for lock parts if anyone has some, especially a good '58 marked lockplate. S&S has one, and I may go for it. Looking like that lock is going to cost a fortune to build. Anyhow, back to the barrel. I'm hoping one of you gents could share with me the dimensions of an original, so I can measure mine and see how close it is. what I need is diameter at several set points along the barrel, denoted by distance from breech. If the barrel is much oversized, I'll send it off to Dan Whitacre and have it reworked. Also, please fix my ignorance on another point: how many grooves did original '55 barrels have? Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Capnball; 06-19-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    If the barrel was made in Italy it would have to have a proof mark. That applies to some other countries too. Without a manufacturer's mark on it it cannot be approved for N-SSA competition if that matters to you. It's difficult to believe the barrel was made without any markings unless it has been defarbed sometime.

3 lands & grooves, 1 in 72"

Region:
    Visitor

I know!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye2 View Post
    If the barrel was made in Italy it would have to have a proof mark. That applies to some other countries too. Without a manufacturer's mark on it it cannot be approved for N-SSA competition if that matters to you. It's difficult to believe the barrel was made without any markings unless it has been defarbed sometime.

3 lands & grooves, 1 in 72"
    Thank you! Yeah, the barrel seems to be great quality visually, but the only marking is a "10" on the bottom, and the tang is marked "5" which leads me to think they're mismatched marriage marks.

I figure if I get the profile right, I can swap for a Whitacre barrel later IF I ever manage to get into skirmishing- which won't be for a while.
    -Jordan Goodwin