Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlap or TRS?

Region:
    Visitor

Dunlap or TRS?

Still gathering parts for my Harper's Ferry type F Mississippi build. Got a couple more orders to make. I'm going to be getting a few parts from The Rifle Shoppe, and I was wondering if any of you had experiences with their military stocks vs Dunlap's. I've read lots of good on here about Dunlap's stocks, and they're supposed to be extremely close to the originals. I don't mind fitting parts, and I'm sure I'll do plenty of that. But I'd just as soon not do a lot of reshaping. I've also heard that both Dunlap and TRS can be slow to deal with, so if any of you already have a stock that you're not going to use I'm interested.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, CapandBall:

I was told by Wayne Dunlap over two years ago that he was taking final orders for his stocks. Unless something might be left in inventory, which I doubt for MS's, all Wayne's MS stocks orders were filled well over a year ago, and there will be no more from him.

Lodgewood, Tom Nixon and one other divided the final batch of MS stocks.

So, might check with David or Tom.

Respectfully,
    Kevin Tinny

Region:
    Visitor
    Good luck with The Rifle Shop some times it takes for ever to get parts from them.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Region:
    Visitor

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    03454V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Dunlap Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Capnball View Post
    Still gathering parts for my Harper's Ferry type F Mississippi build. Got a couple more orders to make. I'm going to be getting a few parts from The Rifle Shoppe, and I was wondering if any of you had experiences with their military stocks vs Dunlap's. I've read lots of good on here about Dunlap's stocks, and they're supposed to be extremely close to the originals. I don't mind fitting parts, and I'm sure I'll do plenty of that. But I'd just as soon not do a lot of reshaping. I've also heard that both Dunlap and TRS can be slow to deal with, so if any of you already have a stock that you're not going to use I'm interested.

I have a Dunlap Miss. Stock. I've had it approx. 12/15 years. I'm not going to use it. It is marked $260.00 so I'm sure that's what I paid.

I can send pic's if interested. Price would be $260,00 + shipping. I may have some of the other parts you need.
    Last edited by Allan C.; 06-17-2021 at 04:04 PM.

Region:
    Visitor

Shoulda been more patient...

Quote Originally Posted by Allan C. View Post
    I have a Dunlap Miss. Stock. I've had it approx. 12/15 years. I'm not going to use it. It is marked $260.00 so I'm sure that's what I paid.

I can send pic's if interested. Price would be $260,00 + shipping. I may have some of the other parts you need.
    Dang! I got ahold of Dunlap again, and purchased a stock this morning! I also purchased the rest of the parts I needed from various folks and websites- except for a set of patchbox screws. I did get some Garand buttplate screws that are super close and will get me by for now. Thanks anyhow!
    -Jordan Goodwin

Region:
    Visitor

Also, for anyone interested...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello, CapandBall:

I was told by Wayne Dunlap over two years ago that he was taking final orders for his stocks. Unless something might be left in inventory, which I doubt for MS's, all Wayne's MS stocks orders were filled well over a year ago, and there will be no more from him.

Lodgewood, Tom Nixon and one other divided the final batch of MS stocks.

So, might check with David or Tom.

Respectfully,
    Kevin Tinny
    So, I talked to David at Lodgewood this morning, and he was very helpful. He said it was his impression that The Rifle Shoppe was doing much better on turnaround times (especially on in-stock items) now that they've completed their recent move. He highly recommended their parts, but recommended I hold out for a Dunlap stock. He loves Dunlap's stocks. On that, he said it was his impression that Dunlap was still doing stocks, despite having threatened to get out of it 2 years ago, and that I should keep bugging them until I got one. I called Dunlap back and got my stock on the way!
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Thanks, Jordan, for digging deeper:

Good news:

I spoke this AM with Dan at Dunlap Woodcrafts. Wayne was on vacation. Dan shared that Wayne's previous decision to stop the production of gunstocks was correct.
    Dan said they have found a solution to the inletting aspect and have resumed accepting orders for some, not all stocks, so best to call first. Dan also said they are seeing walnut availability issues.

Smiles,
    Kevin Tinny

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    A shame to see these crafts pass out of the world.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan C. View Post

I know it?s a long shot but did you ever sell this stock? I didn?t see any posts where it sold on this site.

Thanks,
    Barry S.