Thread: Mississippi Harpers Ferry 5th Alteration questions

Region:
    Visitor

Mississippi Harpers Ferry 5th Alteration questions

I'm gathering up mostly reproduction parts (see my want ad over in the wanted/for sale board) to build a Harpers Ferry altered .58 Mississippi rifle, called the "fifth alteration" in this excellent article:

https://www.militarytrader.com/milit...sissippi-rifle

Basically a Mississippi rebored to .58, with a short front band, new ramrod, and 1855 sights and bayonet lug added. One of my main questions is: The article doesn't specify how the front sight and bayonet lug were attached- soldered/brazed, or dovetailed. Kinda looks like on their example rifle that the sight might be brazed or soldered, and the bayonet lug might be dovetailed? Fortunately, S&S has a good selection of parts for any combination. Next question is this: were these fifth-alteration rifles modified at the Harper's Ferry arsenal all Harper's Ferry manufactured 1841s, or would they have been mixed with rifles from the other contractors as well? If the latter is true, I'm thinking about going with Whitney or Robbins & Lawrence markings, but I want to make sure.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I've got an original and the bayonet lug and front sight were dovetailed and brazed in place. For a modern repro I would recommend soft soldering them in place as I have seen barrels with the bores distorted from brazing or silver soldering sights in place. I don't know if the ones altered were all of Harper's Ferry manufacture or a mixed batch. The N-SSA will recognize any manufactured 1841 rifle in this configuration as legal to shoot. I hope this helps.

Region:
    Visitor
    That does help, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    I've got an original and the bayonet lug and front sight were dovetailed and brazed in place. For a modern repro I would recommend soft soldering them in place as I have seen barrels with the bores distorted from brazing or silver soldering sights in place. I don't know if the ones altered were all of Harper's Ferry manufacture or a mixed batch. The N-SSA will recognize any manufactured 1841 rifle in this configuration as legal to shoot. I hope this helps.
    -Jordan Goodwin

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Mine is a 4th model alteration but I'm sure the sight and bayonet lug were done the same way.

That was a good article on the 1841 rifles and alterations. I enjoyed reading it.

Region:
    Visitor

I want to get this right...

So, I am unfamiliar with the N-SSA's designations for this particular Harper's Ferry altered MS rifle- is it the type F? Also, would it be possible for me to get the SAC sheet on it that I see talked about in older threads?
    -Jordan Goodwin

Region:
    Visitor

Found them

Nevermind, I found the SAC sheets (or at least most of them) for the Mississippi. Here's a link to the thread that has the links to the Word documents if anyone else is interested.

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showth...pe+mississippi
    -Jordan Goodwin