Thread: I need some info on Merrill Carbines

1. I need some info on Merrill Carbines

I'm trying to find more information about Merrill carbines, specifically if anyone can tell me the serial number where the 2nd models began. Mine is all 1st model on a second model stock. It has that 'been together' look...
    Can anyone out there refer me to a forum, or website where I might get some info?

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Re: I need some info on Merrill Carbines

According to the references I have, I cannot find any mention of what serial number range the transisition between the 1st and 2nd Model Merrills occurred. What was noted is that there is a fair amount of "overlap" in features, i.e., stocks without patch boxes, stocks with patchboxes, three different styles of stock noses, etc. Of, course this makes it hard to determine exactly when the transisition occurred.

I will note that although the Yankee Government purchased almost 15,000 Merrill carbines, the South also considered purchasing (or manufacturing) Merrills! I have a copy of the 1860 Virginia Armory Commission report and in it, the testing officer, a Major Raleigh Colston of Virginia Military Institute tested a U.S. Model 1855 Harper's Ferry Rifle converted to a Merrill breech loader. He shot that converted M1855 and recommended that the State of Virginia purchase the rights to build Merrill Carbines and 2 BAND RICHMOND RIFLES at the Richmond Armory. The carbines, of course, to be issued to the Cavalry and the 2 Band Merrill Rifles to be issued to Sergeants in infantry regiments. Of course, the privates in the regiments would be issued muzzleloaders!

The AUTHORITY on Merrill Carbines if Tony Beck. He is a Skirmisher and he also writes on a website devoted to Civil War Guns. You might could get in touch with him thru that website.

GOOD LUCK

3. Re: I need some info on Merrill Carbines

Thanks for the great info, I'll try to find this guy.

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

This probably won't be much help, but way, way back when the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery was formed (1970), one of our "Plank Owner" members, Tony Butler, had a Merrill. It differed from the one in your photo in that it was stocked all the way to the muzzle, and there was a nose cap right at the muzzle. Sort of looked like a short Mannlicher, really cool. He shot it for the 2 years he was with the team and I sort of decided that that gun wasn't worth the aggravation. It was very accurate, but after about 5-6 rounds it would lock up from fouling, just like the cheap repro Sharps are known for.
    It was still a cool looking gun!

Bill Shuey

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Dear Kweeksdraw:

If you have not done so yet, check your "Private Messages" on this website. I have contacted Tony Beck for you and he is willing to help. I have sent you his e-mail address in that Private Message.

Southron

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Just a comment on merrill carbines. I shot my merrill today and it is a pleasure! Mine is a second model and I shot it with a rapine burnside bullet and 35 grains of loose powder. No gas leakage at all and I fired a dozen shots without cleaning and the action did not get tight from fowling. No brass to buy or clean. A much maligned carbine. I understand why a confederate calvaryman would have been very fond of the merrill. Count me as a fan!

I've been away from skirmishing for too long, but shot a Merrill on the line for several years. It's a great carbine for skirmishing!Hopefully I'll have it on the line again at the fall national.

As to the original question, the lowest transitional model SN in my list of a hundred or so Merrills that I have observed is 8970, with 9086 being a standard first model and 9849 is a transitional model. There is a small batch of rifles (all standard 1st models) in the early 9000s. The highest transitional is 11915. The first 2nd model I have found is 12138. Early second models still have the sn on the lock until about number 13,000. After that, the switch to the date, 1863 or '64. 1864 is rare. I have only seen it on guns numbered over 16,000. The highest serial number I have encountered is 18921, so someone besides Uncle Sam was buying them. Who that would be has not come to light, yet.

I would not be surprised if your second model stock is a replacement, probably done at the armory. Stock breaks through the wrist were common. Is there an assembly number under the trigger plate, buttplate or barrel? If so, does it match the rest of the numbers on the gun?

Tony Beck