Thread: I want to build a Mississippi Rifle

Region:
    Visitor

I want to build a Mississippi Rifle

Howdy gents! Been awhile since I was on here. Boy, do I love learning from you all. So much knowledge and experience here. Anyhow, I picked up a couple of older repro new old stock barrels the other day from Dixie Gun Works' bargain table in their showroom, and one of them is a .58 zouave/mississippi barrel. It's got me really jonesing to build a mississippi rifle. Ultimately, I want a gun that looks new/arsenal refurbished, and is as close as I can make it to an exact copy of a specific Mississippi variant. I'm not currently a skirmisher, so I don't necessarily need a competition gun, but I will deer hunt and target shoot with it, along with some potential reenacting. Because I want new looking, I am thinking I will shy away from original parts. I was thinking about starting with the barrel I have and a Dunlap stock. I notice Lodgewood, S&S, The Rifle Shoppe, and others have a lot of parts. Thinking about getting most of the parts I need from The Rifle Shoppe, maybe even build the lock from their parts. I also thought about attempting to build a Dickson, Nelson & Co or other confederate version of the Mississippi rifle, and I was excited to see that Dunlap offers the option of their stock without a patchbox for just such a build. If I don't go the confederate route, I'll start basic then work my way towards a specific arsenal modified .58 rebore variant. Figured I'd have Lodgewood do my markings and anything else I can't easily handle.

Anyways, any and all input appreciated, especially on these questions:

1. Is a Dickson, Nelson & Co type rifle doable on the Dunlap stock? Not sure about how it would accommodate the later style barrel bands and nosecap.

2. The Dunlap stock is inlet for original parts. I'm not going to have issues with the parts from The Rifle Shoppe or other quality reproduction parts being too loose am I? Too tight I can handle.

3. I'm gonna be sticking to a tight budget- hence the bargain barrel instead of a Hoyt. Anyone got some parts they'd give me a deal on?
    Last edited by Capnball; 05-03-2021 at 11:47 PM.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    One fella here has had excellent luck with stocks from Numrich arms to build Razeed Springfield 2 band muskets. Around $100 I believe. A bit less expensive than some others.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Mississippi parts

Cap&ball, email me a list of the parts most needed, I have an accumulation of parts for a repo. Miss. that I can help you with, I think you will find my price very reasonable. Jim

Region:
    Visitor

PM

Quote Originally Posted by jswift View Post
    Cap&ball, email me a list of the parts most needed, I have an accumulation of parts for a repo. Miss. that I can help you with, I think you will find my price very reasonable. Jim
    Jim, I am very interested. I don't see your email address anywhere, so I'll send you a private message.

Region:
    Visitor

Thanks guys!

Keep it coming guys! I did notice after looking at Dunlap's listing for the stock again that the inletting can be tighter for reproduction parts on request. That's what I'll do. I've also pretty well decided to go with a US Mississippi variant for versatility's sake as reenacting goes, but if this build goes well enough I may do a Dickson & Nelson down the road and add that to the arsenal.