Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1862 Pocket Police any good?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

1862 Pocket Police any good?

I'm looking for a lightweight revolver for my daughter.

Are the 1862 Pocket Police decent shooters? I've got a 2nd Generation Colt but it lives in the safe.

I've got a Euroarms Remington Navy and a Spiller and Burr but neither of them are good shooters.
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I'm looking for a lightweight revolver for my daughter.

Are the 1862 Pocket Police decent shooters? I've got a 2nd Generation Colt but it lives in the safe.

I've got a Euroarms Remington Navy and a Spiller and Burr but neither of them are good shooters.
    Steve?when I was active in the Deep South ( wish I still was) we had a chance to talk with the late great Tom Ball and upgrade our factory Remingtons. Of course we were interested in his famous revolvers but his advice was that the single best improvement to a revolver was to have a target cone cut into the breech of the barrel. This cone guides the bullet into the rifling more gently than the standard cone cut at the factory. His major point was that it mitigates the cylinder hole to hole misalignment that naturally occurs in factory guns as each shot is fired. This simple and inexpensive mod took my off the shelf Euroarms to typically shooting 45 to 48 points on the 25yd individual targets.
    Just a thought on an inexpensive way to get a reasonably accurate revolver without the expense of a new one.
    By the way I am no master class revolver shooter but I have shot against some and they are a joy to watch.

Regards and best best of luck with your daughter? Steve Weems

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Steve I got my stepson a 1851 Colt Navy and they are pretty good for small hands too.

Region:
    Steve?when I was active in the Deep South ( wish I still was) we had a chance to talk with the late great Tom Ball and upgrade our factory Remingtons. Of course we were interested in his famous revolvers but his advice was that the single best improvement to a revolver was to have a target cone cut into the breech of the barrel. This cone guides the bullet into the rifling more gently than the standard cone cut at the factory. His major point was that it mitigates the cylinder hole to hole misalignment that naturally occurs in factory guns as each shot is fired. This simple and inexpensive mod took my off the shelf Euroarms to typically shooting 45 to 48 points on the 25yd individual targets.
    Just a thought on an inexpensive way to get a reasonably accurate revolver without the expense of a new one.
    By the way I am no master class revolver shooter but I have shot against some and they are a joy to watch.
    I bought an 11-degree cone reamer from Brownells. Used it on the Spiller and Burr. I think it shot worse afterwards! Made me afraid to try it again.

Steve I got my stepson a 1851 Colt Navy and they are pretty good for small hands too.
    I've got a Pietta 1851 Navy and it shoots very well, and point-of-aim to boot! It is my first choice of the revolvers I've got but I think a Pocket Police will be even better for her.

So, anyone have any experience shooting the Pocket Police? How is it for accuracy?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Steve - the Colt "Root" revolver in .28 cal is perfect. It's solid frame, by far Colt's best engineering design, fun to shoot, small & light weight, perfect investment.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-03-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Region:
    If you want to borrow mine and let her try it before you buy something, I would be glad to bring it to you at Brierfield. Mine is a Uberti and shoots well for me. jh

Region:
    You would be welcome to hang onto it until the August match or later. jh

Region:
    Hi John, thanks for the offer! We might take a few shots with it to try it out. We've already done the "hand fit" test with my Colt 2nd gen, but I'm curious at this point if anyone has had luck with them as far as accuracy goes. Good to know yours shoots well.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I bought an 11-degree cone reamer from Brownells. Used it on the Spiller and Burr. I think it shot worse afterwards! Made me afraid to try it again.

I've got a Pietta 1851 Navy and it shoots very well, and point-of-aim to boot! It is my first choice of the revolvers I've got but I think a Pocket Police will be even better for her.

So, anyone have any experience shooting the Pocket Police? How is it for accuracy?

Steve
    Oh great from what it sounds like my stepson will be out shooting me (not that it's any great challenge to do that) with the pistol I bought for him. *SMH*

Region:
    I will bring it to our next skirmish for your father/daughter pistol fun. She takes good photos, btw. jh