Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hahn Tube problem

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Hahn Tube problem

I just bought 500 new tubes for my sharps and they don't fit my bullets. They are too tight to fit over the ringtail. The last batch I bought fit tight but fit. These won't go on at all without splitting or crushing the tube. I just bought 500 of them and am at a loss as to why they are different size. I'm kind of stuck as I am trying to prepare for the Statesboro shoot a little over a week from now. Does anyone else have this problem and how do you remedy it?
    Thanks

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Contact Charlie.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Name:  sharps.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  449.4 KB This may work. I'm in a time crunch. Skirmish is only 10 days away. I don't have time to return them. I just cut a little slit there. Might work!

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    01247V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Tubes

You could try scotch tape around the split part to get U out of a bind.

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
    You could try scotch tape around the split part to get U out of a bind.

Good Idea.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    If they are glued to the ringtail, and you use a wad to keep the powder at the rear of the tube, then tape should not be needed, I would not think.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    1st Regiment Engineer Troops
    9813V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Sharps tubes

I have been using Charlie's tubes since he started selling them. I use the Raphine ring-tail which is slightly too large for the tube. I take a Sharps bullet and using the nose of the bullet gently ream the tube so the ring-tail fits, at times the tube might slit a bit which is OK because I use a slight bit of carpenters glue to hold the bullet in the tube. They Fly good with no loss of accuracy, as the tube disengages as it is leaving the barrel. To use the glue I make a small puddle on a piece of wax paper and roll the ring-tail in it..

I also use lens paper cut in 3/4 inch squares to close the other end I dip the end in the glue puddle then slightly roll the end of the tube in the puddle, touch it to a 3/4" piece and then smooth the rest of the paper on the outside of the tube. I use to slide the paper inside with a dowel, but went to doing it on the outside years ago. I also make up the end with the lens paper by the 100's before the shooting season then place the powder and bullet a week or so before the match. After the bullet is seated and glued, I dip the bullet in some melted lube away from a flame source.
    Last edited by tony 1st regt; 04-14-2021 at 10:47 PM.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hi,

You can always call or email me with any issues, Did you just order them from my online store, (jaymescompany.com)? I am still selling out of the last lot I made. What length did you get?

The suggestion of using the nose of the bullet is one use. Next I check to see if a build up of mould release has allowed the ring tail to grow a little.

The tubes have a manufacturing tolerance of +/-.005. I do not check everyone, but do spot check the batches. If you got a tight one, I will replace the whole order to get you running, just call 410-627-4726

Charlie

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hahn View Post
    Hi,

You can always call or email me with any issues, Did you just order them from my online store, (jaymescompany.com)? I am still selling out of the last lot I made. What length did you get?

The suggestion of using the nose of the bullet is one use. Next I check to see if a build up of mould release has allowed the ring tail to grow a little.

The tubes have a manufacturing tolerance of +/-.005. I do not check everyone, but do spot check the batches. If you got a tight one, I will replace the whole order to get you running, just call 410-627-4726

Charlie

Thanks. I got the 1.375 size off line. I will try to make these work for now. I got two bags. I may return one for exchange if I can't get them to work. The length is perfect.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Sharps

I had the same problem, selective splitting of Charlie's superlative tubes when inserting Rapine ringtail bullets. In a rare stroke of genius, I bumped the bullets into a .451 sizer I use for .45 Colt Auto sizing. It puts a slight bevel or chamfer on the ringtail which allows it to slip easily into the Hahn cartridge. The alteration to the bullet is, of course, perfectly symmetrical. Here's a (for me) stunning target fired last month at 50 yards with an M.1853 slant breech carbine using Hahn's tubes.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dave Fox; 04-15-2021 at 01:52 PM.