Thread: Case prep problem

Team:
    2nd New Jersey Cavalry, Co. K
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Case prep problem

So I have been shooting Maynard?s for over 20 years.
    started out with 2nd models.. and eventually progressed to 1st models. I have always shot brass cartridges. And have always tumbled my brass in a Dillion vibratory tumbler. Always hated having to clean out the insides with a brush after tumbling to get the corn cob grit and dirt, dust out. Also hated how the flash holes would plug up. Even more frustrating was how dirt and crud would accumulate in corner of case where neck
    meets head....
    always had to scrape and clean that area well.

so I finally bought a rolling tumbler very similar to the ?Thumler?s Tumbler?.
    I used the little stainless steel pins with a little wa warm water and some cleaning powder.

let them tumble for about 6 hours.

took out cases. They were clean and ready to dry , then load.

Here is my dilemma, seems all the cases I tumbled in the rolling tumbler have ever so slightly rolled the crown of case in just a 1000th or so so the bullet will not slide in case as it once did so smoothly.?
    all the cases I tumbled in the vibratory tumbler did not have this problem.

Is the rolling motion and the cases getting beaten against one another rolling in my edges?
    I really don?t want to go back to the vibratory tumbler because it causes so much extra work to prep a case...
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Brian

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I'd think 2-3 hours would be sufficient. That doesn't get your cases expanded, but might prevent this from happening again.

At least Maynard don't stack inside one another. You ought to see what Burnsides do....

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I do mine for about two hours and they come out great. Rinse well afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I think the pins are too heavy and are causing the case mouths to be bent in. Too much of that will work harden your brass and you will get neck splits as you resize and shoot it. I noticed the same thing with 44-40 cases.

Instead of the pins, I use ceramic media and soap in a rock tumbler. 2 to 4 hours depending on how dirty your brass is and it comes out looking like new brass. I bought a rotary media separator from MidwayUSA to get the brass out. Lastly, I bought the new Lyman case dryer. From start to finish, my brass is ready to load in about 4 hours.

You can get this from Greg Vest, gvest67@yahoo.com. Tell him I sent you.

If you're careful and don't lose it down the drain, it will last you MANY years.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I use a bucket of water and a paper towel. I prefer Bounty.

Region:

Maynard Tubes and SS Media

Been using the SS media on my Maynard tubes and other brass for years. I have found that periodically I need to chamfer the inside of the case. Those of us who use the SS pins find that they are really great. However, you will have to lightly chamfer the cases occasionally.

Team:
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Try using ground up walnut shells. I used to buy it at the pet shop. It's smaller than corn-cob; seldom gets stuck in the primer pocket. Has natural oil in it; will clean and 'shine' the brass at the same time.
    4th North Carolina, Iredell Blues, NRA "Lifer", Member SCV George Davis Camp 5.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I soak my Maynard brass in white vinegar for 15 minutes, then rinse, dry and throw them in my Lyman Turbo with crushed walnut hulls. The cases come out like new every time. I have been using this method for the thirty-five years that I have been shooting my 2nd model Maynard.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Region:
    Same issues with the original post, so went to SS media and Tumblers Tumbler. Couldn?t be happier with results and ease of use.

Six hours in a tumbler is WAY too long!

1.5 to 2 hrs is more than sufficient.

I too used to run my Maynard brass too long as well in my tumbler. Cases were curling (EVER so slightly) at the mouth. Couldn?t see, but if you dragged a finger nail from the case?s base to mouth, it would catch right at the cases mouth. Made for difficult loading.

Remedy = using a fine file, ever so lightly go over the outside of each empty cases? mouth. Use the finger nail test to verify a smooth case exterior, esp around the mouth.

Likewise chamfering the inside of the mouth is key, especially when prepping brand new brass prior to their first time being loaded.

Hope this helps!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi