Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedersoli Lorenz nipple removal

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V View Post
    For all of you who use Teflon tape on nipples & breech plugs. Teflon migrates (starts to melt and moves at 450 degrees F) over a period of time it will be gone and you have the same problem. Also Teflon on pipe threads is NOT used as a seal. It is a lubricant that allows you to tighten the threads together so they are jammed together tighter than if it were bare thread to bare thread. If you want to know how good Teflon tape is ask someone who works with hydraulics. It ain't that good. Never seize is what you want for any area that is exposed to the burning powder.
    I clean my guns thoroughly after every time I shoot them, including removing and cleaning the nipples. Under those conditions I have never had a problem using Teflon tape The tape hasn't melted and the nipples come out easily. Before I started using Teflon tape I used a good anti-seize compound, which I still use on the cylinder pins of my revolvers rather than lubricant. It makes the cylinder pins much easier to remove after a lengthy practice session. Either solution will work if you clean after every shooting session, I've just found the tape more convenient.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I just take a wire bore brush to the nipple for removing the Teflon remnants . I think a lot of plumbers/gas fitters might disagree about Teflon tape not sealing. I use Anti-Seize on lug nuts and always thought it messy, JMHO.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I use anti-seize, I don't remember where I got it, but I found a small tube of it rather than a can with a brush in the lid. It is aluminum based. I would have preferred copper, but like I said, this was available in a convenient small tube that fits nicely in my tackle box style cleaning box.

Region:
    This is the stuff I use:

It's coppery in color.

I used Teflon tape and it worked fine also. I always cleaned after every shoot and remnants of the tape were still there but it was a pain to remove from the threads as it comes off in stringy bits. I also found it fiddly to wrap around the tiny threaded part of the nipple. I find the anti-seize much easier to use. A little dab'll do ya!
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Pedersoli Lorenz nipple removal

www.finehomebuilding.com › 2009/03/05 › whats-the
    Mar 05, 2009 · Couple thoughts on this: teflon tape is sold/marketed as a pipe joint sealant. What is teflon? a lubricant! it allows pipe joints to be tightened to a leak resistant point because it lubricates the operation, as stated it may also fill void in the thread to prevent leakage. Look at a disassembled teflon joint. where is the tape? Mostly not there.

And if you check Teflon does start to melt (becomes a little fluid & moves around 450 degrees F).

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Plakis Jr, 00302V View Post
    www.finehomebuilding.com › 2009/03/05 › whats-the
    Mar 05, 2009 · Couple thoughts on this: teflon tape is sold/marketed as a pipe joint sealant. What is teflon? a lubricant! it allows pipe joints to be tightened to a leak resistant point because it lubricates the operation, as stated it may also fill void in the thread to prevent leakage. Look at a disassembled teflon joint. where is the tape? Mostly not there.

And if you check Teflon does start to melt (becomes a little fluid & moves around 450 degrees F).
    Respectively disagree, I'm a retired Plumber/Gas fitter and FAA licensed aircraft mechanic to boot so I've sealed a few joints in my time. Smoked a few too

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dixon View Post
    Before I started using Teflon tape I used a good anti-seize compound, which I still use on the cylinder pins of my revolvers rather than lubricant. It makes the cylinder pins much easier to remove after a lengthy practice session.
    For me this thread danced along the fringes of rational discussion. This statement slipped off the edge. Photos of cylinder pin removal please.

Region:
    Photos of cylinder pin removal please.
    I think he's talking about the shaft the cylinder spins on. He's talking about using it to grease the arbor.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Yeah have trouble getting my mind around things these days. On the cylinder pin (arbor, center shaft) thing, could not relate --- Colts never come out; Remington, Rogers & Spencer slide right out. Only use a dab of oil on the latter.
    On the nipples -- never had one that didn't fit the last 48 years. Can't the nipple seat be resized/fleshed out using a right sized die????

Region:
    or the pin on a Remington that doesn't actually get "Removed", but certainly gets slid forward a good distance.

Splitting hairs........