Thread: load for a GALLIGER.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

load for a GALLIGER.

I have a GALLIGER CARBINE, original. and I want to know if I can shoot a RB, out of it? and how much powder to put in it. 2FG.? is a grease cookie needed? I know that a .535, RB. is only used in the GERMAN ERMA'S. and if I use a pointed bullet what DIA, would I use? and if I can use a RB. how do I load it into the case, use a mallet or thumb pressure? sorry for all of the questions, but I am a NIMROD when it comes to the carbine. any and all info. will be appreaciated. thanks', toot.

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Have you slugged your bore to see what size it is? The originals were ".52 cal" but i have also heard of varying bore diameters.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:

Galliger bore dia.

I did not slug it. I used a dial Vernier, and it mike's out at.510. DIA. any help? please let me know? thank's. toot.

Team:
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Im going to be doing some testing with my Erma un-relined Gallagher. Because the bore is .54 cal Im going to try to make up some Poultney and Trimble paper cartridges using a an Eras Gone Richmond sharps bullet. Ive got a couple original brass cartridge examples that I plan on using to measure overall length. I see it working out similar to Hahn tubes used by the Sharps shooters.

For your original it should be nominal .515. I would recommend you slug your bore to get a better confirmation on what bullet size to use. But I have shot round balls in my Erma using 28 Grains of 3F GOEX with brass casings.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Hello:

While the question first involved an original Gallagher, now a repro is included.
    Repro G's can be a different matter.

Just a heads-up if not seen here before:
    Some have shared that more than a few, perhaps early, repro Gallaghers came with barrels for 50 BMG that had 14" - 16" twists. Those needed a liner with the proper twist for two-caliber long cast bullets.
    If working with a repro, might help if the twist rate is measured. It will be a challenge to make a 14" twist shoot our bullets. Tx.
    Kevin Tinny

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The repro Erma Werke guns used.54 cal (?MM) machine gun barrel blank with a very fast twist. To look down it, it will make you dizzy. But, with the right load it has proven to be incredibly accurate. There was a guy who perfected the load years ago and I dare to say he won more medals than anybody in the N-SSA... It can be done...

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by noonanda View Post
    Im going to be doing some testing with my Erma un-relined Gallagher. Because the bore is .54 cal Im going to try to make up some Poultney and Trimble paper cartridges using a an Eras Gone Richmond sharps bullet. Ive got a couple original brass cartridge examples that I plan on using to measure overall length. I see it working out similar to Hahn tubes used by the Sharps shooters.

For your original it should be nominal .515. I would recommend you slug your bore to get a better confirmation on what bullet size to use. But I have shot round balls in my Erma using 28 Grains of 3F GOEX with brass casings.
    Using paper cartridges in a Gallager defeats the whole purpose of the action design. With a metallic case and a protruding bullet the projectile is pushed into the rifling by the closing of the action, therefore starting perfectly aligned and engaged with the barrel.

Team:
    Region:
    Hello, Ben:

Please review your PM's for mine of a couple days ago.
    Need some help. Thanks.

VR/Kevin Tinny

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello, Ben:

Please review your PM's for mine of a couple days ago.
    Need some help. Thanks.

VR/Kevin Tinny
    Kevin, PM sent. Will be in touch soon.
    Ben.

Team:
    Region:
    Hello:

More history, please:

Ben was helpful with his knowledge of Alan Riele's fine shooting with an ERMA Gallagher and provided a photo of the brass ctg case and modified Maxiball bullet developed by Alan. Alan's phone is disconnected so I called Larry Romano and Bobby Hoyt.

Larry said he knew Alan, agreed that the original Erma machine gun twist of approx 14" would not shoot our bullets, added that he lined the first one, but could not recall who got it or the twist. Larry said his experience with that length bullet, of which I sent him a photo, would take a much slower (than 14") twist of at least 48" or slower. Larry said that after he lined the first one, he believes at four more were soon lined by Bobby Hoyt.

I spoke with Bobby today and he was helpful. He said he lines machine gun bore Gallaghers in 56" twist and IN 50 cal, not the larger original bore, to shoot proven Smith and Maynard bullets.

Based on this, Alan probably had his early machine gun barreled Erma lined with a slower twist in the 48" to 56" range.

Respectfully,
    Kevin Tinny