Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor's Spencer Rifle, Approved or no?

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    These are gems. Thanks guys.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why make folks scour the archives for simple answers right at the tip of the tongues of the walking encyclopedias that eyeball this site.
    It makes for learning more about the sport we do, I feel most have never read the rules, and never will. I don't mine a good search.

Also I read the OP question multiple times and still missed rifle, not carbine.
    Rick G. Cameron Jr.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Yup, strolling through the archives can bring a lot of pleasure. Making people use the archives -- not so much fun.

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yup, strolling through the archives can bring a lot of pleasure. Making people use the archives -- not so much fun.
    I did do a search, but unless you search for specific things you may not get the result. I had done searches for spencer rifle and spencer 1865 and went through the numerous posts with no joy. 7 pages on the Spencer 1865
    Last edited by noonanda; 02-21-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    If you didn't find it? Here you may find the answers your looking for.

Armisport Spencer Rifle (n-ssa.net)
    Rick G. Cameron Jr.

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by FirinFlatTop View Post
    It makes for learning more about the sport we do, I feel most have never read the rules, and never will. I don't mine a good search.

Also I read the OP question multiple times and still missed rifle, not carbine.
    I obviously read the rules as my first post mentioned how I had looked in the SAC handbook for that very reason. Thanks for the link, I guess my search was too vague. I had read this one but it seemed alot was about Carbines.
    Last edited by noonanda; 02-21-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    OK, after too many consecutive days of too much snow.....I'm back!

The ArmiSport Chiappa Spencer Rifle is a sad story. After they discovered that even the reenacting community wouldn't buy their Rifle with a Carbine receiver, they updated it to the configuration you see today.Unfortunately, the dimensions are too far out of our liberal +/- Allowable Tolerances to be given a N-SSA Production Approval status. I went to great lengths to work with the importer, who is Taylor's & Co., to get them to understand what had to be corrected in order to make the Rifle correct and approvable for use in the N-SSA. I made an appointment to meet with Taylor's personally. At that time I gave them a complete write-up, and even showed them an original Spencer Rifle. I had them compare it to an ArmiSport example so they could visually see the differences I had written about. To say they were barely interested would describe how they received my efforts. ArmiSport was flat out not interested in correcting anything because they said they had no problem selling them to the much larger re-enacting market.

Now you know why the ArmiSport Spencer Rifle is not, and never will be, on the N-SSA's Approved arms List.

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Staff Officer
    Small Arms Committee Chairman

Team:
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    OK, after too many consecutive days of too much snow.....I'm back!

The ArmiSport Chiappa Spencer Rifle is a sad story. After they discovered that even the reenacting community wouldn't buy their Rifle with a Carbine receiver, they updated it to the configuration you see today.Unfortunately, the dimensions are too far out of our liberal +/- Allowable Tolerances to be given a N-SSA Production Approval status. I went to great lengths to work with the importer, who is Taylor's & Co., to get them to understand what had to be corrected in order to make the Rifle correct and approvable for use in the N-SSA. I made an appointment to meet with Taylor's personally. At that time I gave them a complete write-up, and even showed them an original Spencer Rifle. I had them compare it to an ArmiSport example so they could visually see the differences I had written about. To say they were barely interested would describe how they received my efforts. ArmiSport was flat out not interested in correcting anything because they said they had no problem selling them to the much larger re-enacting market.

Now you know why the ArmiSport Spencer Rifle is not, and never will be, on the N-SSA's Approved arms List.

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Staff Officer
    Small Arms Committee Chairman
    Thanks John, might contact hoot about what he actually did to convert it to an acceptable, or I might Hold on to it for a while
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Yeah Hoot has his Spencer so ginned up he stands on the line and shoots it repeater mode right alongside the Henry guys. Gives me the heebie-jeebies. I still shoot individuals only. None of my remarkable cartridge loads will feed out of the magazine without some WWF level wrestling. But it's a really accurate bugger.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Glad to hear you are ok, John:
    Thanks for the Armisport/Chiappa/Taylor's Spencer rifle information.
    Please stay safe.
    Kevin Tinny