Thread: Managing Various Bullets

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Managing Various Bullets

I shoot many different guns and have many moulds for the various bullets they shoot. I was thinking it would be nice to have a sample bullet from each of my moulds with some documentation as to what mould it came from and where it is used. If I were to buy a new gun, I could go to my samples and see what bullets I already have that might work in it. Does any of you do this? If so, tell us or show us how you do yours.

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    i just use one bullet in all my muskets. that makes it easy. rapine 510 grn. does everything i need and i cast two cans full at the start of the year and im done.
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I keep all the targets I shoot on all guns in working up a load. Each target has a label with gun, powder type, grns, bullet used, size, distance, lube, comments. I have often gone back to these targets for reference. If I sell a gun I send the targets along to show what worked and what didn?t. I only do benched targets in working up a load. Even pistol targets. I know most guns will print differently when shot free hand so adjustments to sights come after benching. Has been the most reliable source for me. I do keep approx. 50 res. of some of the most popular bullets used in coffee cans for reference too. But like you I have a lot of moulds so not all are kept moulded.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I have about 50 molds for everything from .32 acp up to .715 round ball, and everything in between. Skirmish guns, .30 cal, 8mm, revolver round balls, etc.

I don't manage my molds per say. I know what molds I have. When I get a new gun I try each mold that may be applicable, then write down what groups best. If nothing groups well I look at new molds outside the curve of what I have.

For instance, my notes might say something like: "Armi Sport 61 Springfield: Rapine 315 SWC, size to .576", either SPG or 50/50 mobil 1 and beeswax; 43 gr Goex FFG, lube base." Or "1898 Krag no 5 (I have or have had 5 of them). Shoots best with Lyman 311299, sized to .310, 50/50 alox/beeswax, gas check, no. 2 alloy, 18 gr of 2400 or 34 gr of IMR 4895, dacron tuft, Win LR primer. COL: see pilot cartridge already made in box for seat depth. NOTE: gun likes a firm crimp with the 4895 load."

In short I manage by GUN not by mold.

Region:
    Thanks guys. Perhaps I should have used "Catalog" rather than "Manage". I was thinking about maybe having a sample bullet from each mold with a tag that said what it was, maybe what size it drops at, what guns it might fit. Or maybe I should just do it with photographs and captions.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Don?t understand why you would need a sample bullet. Just the data on a spreadsheet would tell you which molds to try.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Just something to help my wife or boys identify what's what one day when I'm gone.