Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel trailer wanted

Team:
    First Rockbridge Artillery
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Travel trailer wanted

I see most of what here is firearms and such so I hope I'm posting in the right place, I am looking for a moderate sized travel trailer around or smaller than 20 feet, looking for a road worth trailer, maintenance items are alright if need to be done, needs title of course. This will be my first trailer. Pop up campers in good condition are acceptable too. I will be out in virginia in mid to late may and would be looking then or if your near Illinois where I am then I wouldn't mind traveling a bit. Thanks in advance.

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

try RV trader

Try RV Trader. com, I found a very good deal on a 22 footer, guy used it 5 times,, I paid less than half what he paid, he just wanted it gone.
    Not saying you will find such a deal, but I did find many other close to what I wanted. Also try RV Dealers, they like to get rid of trade-ins that come in. Hope this helps some, good hunting.
    Rick G. Cameron Jr.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Best time to look for a good used trailer is a week after the Camper show.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    Region:
    If it means anything I am looking to stay more on the budget side, don't mind age as long as it is solid floor, road worthy and such.

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Carlson View Post
    I see most of what here is firearms and such so I hope I'm posting in the right place, I am looking for a moderate sized travel trailer around or smaller than 20 feet, looking for a road worth trailer, maintenance items are alright if need to be done, needs title of course. This will be my first trailer. Pop up campers in good condition are acceptable too. I will be out in virginia in mid to late may and would be looking then or if your near Illinois where I am then I wouldn't mind traveling a bit. Thanks in advance.
    What do you have to tow with?

That will let folks know what you can safely tow.
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Carlson View Post
    If it means anything I am looking to stay more on the budget side, don't mind age as long as it is solid floor, road worthy and such.
    Having gotten taken once on buying a pop-up camper (NOT from a skirmisher!), make dad gum sure the roof don't leak! I think there were 2000 plus screws holding that thing together. Even using an electric screwdriver, I wound up with tennis elbow in both of them. THEN, the ex-to-be decided she didn't want to camp in it!!! I sold it for a profit, but that profit was eat up in medical bills for the tennis elbow. Plus i had pain for 2 years.

Enough of the bad memories. Time to think of warm puppies and fuzzy kittens-and musket competition, carbine matches, etc.
    Last edited by Muley Gil; 02-23-2021 at 08:29 PM.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Visitor
    I had a popup once I bought it brand new. There are only two thing I can say about a popup.
    The two happiest days of your life is the day you buy your popup and the day you sell it.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Old Reb View Post
    I had a popup once I bought it brand new. There are only two thing I can say about a popup.
    The two happiest days of your life is the day you buy your popup and the day you sell it.
    I 100% agree with this..

In 1986 we bought a used popup for use with our kids who were 5 (twins) at that time and we used it several times in late August until early October with them.
    The next late June we went to Washington DC and had a lot of "warm" weather to put up with not having a Air Conditioner nor a bathroom in the camper.
    On the way home we decided to get rid of the popup and talking to a Ham Radio friend on the air, I sold it to him. I think it was in September that year I found a 1970 24 Ft Airstream that needed rebuilding.
    I rebuilt (overhauled) it by the next June and we ended up keeping it until 2002.

Anyway - We now have a 31 ft travel trailer (not an Airstream) and enjoy using it and I would strongly suggest going to a trailer with a bathroom and a air conditioner .
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Team:
    Region:
    Figured a pop up would be like a fancy tent, which is what my dad and brother use now, and have for years in the scouts, I do agree on making sure the roof dont leak, as far as what Id be pulling with, just sold a 4cyl colorado for a 5.3 silverado, figured if I want a trailer then I ought to have something that can pull it without screaming down the road.

Region:
    Visitor
    ​The only advantage to a popup is their easy to pull. Other than that their a pain in the A**. You always have to stop early so you can put it up. And if you never fouled one up on a cold morning you in for a real treat. If you camp in it in the fall you freeze. One year I camped just west of Six Flags Over the Mid West and we dam near froze to death it got that cold that the dish deterrent froze and my popup had a furnace in it. If it rains you have to open it up and let it dry it out good for a couple days or it will mildew even if it's vinyl coated. And if it dose mildew then you have a real mess to clean up. I bought the biggest and the best Coachman they made at the time it had electric brakes a furnace a power converter vinyl coted canvas the gas stove could be disconnected and taken outside. and some other goodies. Within four years it fell apart. I tore it apart and rebuilt it and then sold it. The second happiest day of my life The guy I sold it to it was his first happiest day of his life. Back in the 80.s when I was camping they made what was call a Hilo it was a like a regular hard shell camper but the roof cranked up and down like a popup, and I think you could get it with an electric motor to do it for you, making it easy to pull. I haven't seen one for years I don't know if they still make them or not.
    Last edited by Ron The Old Reb; 02-24-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come