Thread: So how do you guys manage your targets at skirmishes?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

So how do you guys manage your targets at skirmishes?

In the past we just pulled out rolls of individual targets, and tried to unroll them out on a table, and put boards or lead or whatever to try and keep them from re-rolling back up again. Then every time you go to pull a new target you have to wrestle the roll as it tries to re-roll itself again.

I tried to make a two-stage box to hold targets.

They work OK, but it's a super pain in the butt to try and stuff the targets down into the box, because, again, they want to roll up on themselves. I've tried rolling them backwards on themselves and letting them set for a while tied up and that marginally works but not really.

I thought of just making a leather or nylon hinge between two pieces of wallboard, like a giant manilla folder. Then you can open it up and (real quick like) close it, hopefully pressing the targets down flat. Then you could just slide one out of the stack as you need them.

What do you guys do?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Hi Steve,
    In our stat at Capron we have built shelves for the various types of targets, open a roll and lay it upside down on the shelf. they stay flat and you pull off the top one without any trouble.
    Sometimes we have to put a stick on top till they lay out a while.
    We find it works well.
    Good luck,
    Gary B.
    Gary Bowling, Commander
    Nansemond Guards, 6th VA Co. E, CSA

"Rear sights are STILL overrated"

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Solution to rolled targets in the Ready Area!

Steve,

Is your issue with YOUR individual targets?

If so, I discovered a VERY handy item to help solve the problem of dealing with +10 rolled up targets in the Ready Area, esp on windy days!!!

Various Wine Shops sell light weight, shopping-bag-sized, nylon tote bags that feature INTERNAL DIVIDERS. These wonderful bags allow customers to safely stow and keep their bottles safe while they shop. The bags keep all of the carried bottles physically separated via the internally sewn dividers!!!

So - with this technological leap forward - I can now put ALL of my individual targets in their respective "divider". My pistol targets are put in one space, 50 yd long arms in their spaces and 100 yd in theirs.

NO LONGER do I have to root around, looking for the target(s) that I want to post. They're all rolled and ready at my finger tips. To be honest, I'm surprised no enterprising vendor/sutler has never thought of making just such a bag - preferably with a large flap to protect the rolled targets from any surprise/inclement weather...

Anyhow, this bag has been a GREAT addition to my range kit! Unfortunately she's stowed in my trailer, so I can't share pics.

In the meantime check out your local shops and ask around. They also small bottle bags too, I presume for those who lean towards small bottles of their favorite adult beverage - but, like small dogs - thats just crazy...

NOW as for remedying "self-rolling" paper targets. I just roll my individuals with the bulls on the outside. The time they spend in the "counter roll" configuration makes them lay easy/flat on the backer for stapling when I'm ready, and with the printed info on the outside, it makes picking the right target a snap!

Hope this helps.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    No, I'm looking at how to manage the team's targets while selling them at skirmishes.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I like your idea. I'm wondering if you changed the design to where the targets slid in and out from the side, if that would work better? Maybe make both sides open where the targets stick out on both ends?
    Just an idea.
    I think you're on to a good thing here.
    Jeff Kiser
    6509V
    Jeff Davis Legion

Team:
    3rd US Regular Infantry
    7003V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    We unroll them and roll them backwards, then lay them out flat with covered bricks on them. It doesn't work, but interested in other's ideas!

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    a couple of years back we purchased targets from a printer in the region. all flat singles. nice and easy
    comp#11604 DEL BLUES

Region:
    We unroll them and roll them backwards, then lay them out flat with covered bricks on them. It doesn't work, but interested in other's ideas!
    Lol, that's us, too!

Every time you lift up a brick or board or whatever it's like playing with a Jack-in-the-box! BOINGNGING and wheeee away blow the targets! Or it's like an old Tom and Jerry cartoon where someone pulls down a movie screen projector and then SCHLOOOPflapflapflapflap it rolls back up again.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander