Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test firing a barrel

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Great conversation. Thanks guys.
    My reason for asking is I have an original '42 smoothbore barrel that took a lot of polishing to bring back to life and I want to make sure it is still safe to shoot and I really don't want to risk destroying my stock and lock. I'm thinking hose clamping it to a 2X4 with a screw through the tang then putting the breech end inside a tire with the muzzle end laying on the tire then setting another tire on top of it to hold it down. Double charge with 2 balls and ignite with cannon fuze. If nothing else it may result in an impressive explosion.
    I will add that it is a shortened barrel so that should reduce it pressure somewhat.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Well after all that back to the '42. My only concern with this gun would be the nipple threads. Unless you see a visible fault or crack somewhere MY inclination would be to trust it. Part of my trust is based on my usual light charges of 55 grains BP. Refer to Don's comments on how well these guns were built.
    (Final comment -- about 90% of your pressure curve is during the first 3" of ball travel).

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well after all that back to the '42. My only concern with this gun would be the nipple threads. Unless you see a visible fault or crack somewhere MY inclination would be to trust it. Part of my trust is based on my usual light charges of 55 grains BP. Refer to Don's comments on how well these guns were built.
    (Final comment -- about 90% of your pressure curve is during the first 3" of ball travel).
    I'm in agreement Eggs. But I do want to be sure. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? A catastrophic explosion that didn't get caught on video? If it blows, I promise it will take my IPad with it.
    Anybody know how to retrieve video from an exploded iPad???

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Ben - Do you know that your original Model 1842 barrel has a seam? That barrel was made by wrapping a flat sheet of soft Iron around a mandrel, and then hammer welded shut. I highly recommend you do not overload a hammer welded barrel that is no less than 165 years old, because they are known to burst at the seam.

Team:
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Ben - Do you know that your original Model 1842 barrel has a seam? That barrel was made by wrapping a flat sheet of soft Iron around a mandrel, and then hammer welded shut. I highly recommend you do not overload a hammer welded barrel that is no less than 165 years old, because they are known to burst at the seam.
    Thanks for the advice John. I will definitely keep that in mind.