Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 Yd Maynard

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Good solution -- problem is the front sight "as is" is perfectly aligned for 50 yards at top of notch. Am loath to take a file to that original front sight. My solution is so good it'll probably need a patent.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Tx, Egg:

I used washers or sticky leather shims under folded staffs on long range musket sights and at Doc Kaye's suggestion, switched to a small magnetized disk.

But I have to hang a red ribbon on my nose to remenber to pull it when changing distance. Haha.

R/Kevin

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Dang Kevin you keep making posts like this my patent wont be worth pigeon droppings.

Team:
    Region:
    Do I understand correctly that buying a replacement "L" rear leaf is a non starter?
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    Kevin,

Could you define or illustrate what you mean by "folded staffs"? Are you talking about the leaves on the rear sight or the sliding bar or...?
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Region:
    Yes, sorry, Gil:

I have asked here twice and not been able to get anyone to tell me how to post photo's on our Forum directly from my Droid cell, so hopefully the following is clear:

My #10574 issue Smith carbine rear sight slider bar has TWO facets with notches on two facets. Only one of the two is visible, depending on the staff''s lowered/raised position.

My term,"folded", means the staff is lowered against the base and is parallel to the barrel with the slider rearmost against the rear end of the folded staff. In this folded/lowered position there is a distinct notch visible whem aiming.

This is my 50 yd sight configuration that requires the top of the post even with the top of the notch AND the post 2" into the clay or centered vs 6:00. I could as Raider/PJ helpfully suggested, put the top of the post a bit lower into the notch. Will try this.

For 100 yds, with staff "raised", the staff is perpendicular to the barrel, like a raised Maynard tang sight staff, and the slider bar is at the bottom of the staff. In this position the shallower"V" notch on the other facet is visible when aiming. This is my 100 yd sight configuration.

Clearly photo's would be simpler here.
    R/Kevin

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    OK, what you are calling the "staff" is the "ladder". I also have a Smith carbine & shoot at 50 yards with the ladder folded forward. At 100 yards, I raise the ladder to vertical and use the second notch.
    Last edited by Muley Gil; 02-09-2021 at 11:10 PM.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Eggs,

Parroting L3 - are you dealing with a M-2 Maynard??

If so, why not remove the orig sight leaves & put them in a SAFE place. Get TWO L shaped rear sights. Drill one for fifty - obtain a group on paper using either 6 o'clock OR center of mass sight picture - your call just be consistent.

Shoot same 50 yd sight at 100 yds to obtain group on paper (100 yd Ind Targets are great - shoot at the top bull!).

Before moving on - you need tight, clearly definitive groups at both distances PERIOD. If needed re-shoot in order to get groups. In addition, this is also the time to make changes to your load, should that be necessary in order for your piece to achieve groups at both distances.

Based on your shot groups (KEEP your targets) from the existing 50 yd peep, refer to the Trig Table to determine the needed/exact placement of 50 & 100 yds peeps to your 2d L shape.

Drill, install, test 2d L shape... Voila

You can drift front or rear sights if needed should you need to tweak windage.

After that your piece should be dead on for both distances - best of all: same piece, same load, cleaning time cut in half, more time to drink beer.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Even though like all good Iowa boys I qualified expert in basic training on the M-1, I'll repeat, the M-1, I don't like peeps.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Your M1 peep

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Even though like all good Iowa boys I qualified expert in basic training on the M-1, I'll repeat, the M-1, I don't like peeps.
    Do what some Marine did, file the top half of the circle / peep off. Then you get a U.
    N-SSA Member since 1974