Thread: Smith Question

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Smith Question

Over 10 years ago before I was in the N-SSA I shot an original Smith for a few years in the ACWSA. I used a Rapine Smith bullet and 35 gr 3F. Twice I shot perfect skirmishes at 50 yards but never hit a target at 100YD. It wasn't a matter of finding the proper sight elevation, the "group" expanded to about the size of the target frame. I moved on to a Sharps and never did get back to the Smith.

I'm working on two new shooters only one of them doesn't know it yet and want to be able to hand them skirmish ready muskets and carbines. I'm a couple of taps on sights away with muskets and so I figured I'd start collecting a to do list for the Smith.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:

Smith

First thing you need to do is purchase a N-SSA approved Smith peep sight. Give me a call I can set you up with one.

Kevin
    847-650-1209

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    If you're using the Rapine single-grease groove bullet, then lack of lube is definitely your problem.

I have to add extra lube to the bullet at the interface to the black plastic tubes...

I cast my Rapine bullet. Dip the base into lube (MCM lube). After it cools, then I run it through the sizer. LEAVE the excess lube on the bullet (it comes from inside the sizer...

Then I seat the bullet into the Black Case. Any excess lube is then wiped down so that it forms a fillet/bevel at the front of the case... It will not interfere with closing the breech in any way.

Without this extra lube, my gun goes from a one-holer at 50 yds to hitting-the-ground-in-front-of-the-frame at 50 yds after 6 shots...

-Boots
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Thanks!

Kevin,

Yea I do need peep sights, no way can I see the original sights. I have made all my own but I could get lazy and give you a call. I plan on handing it to a 30 something so who knows.

Michael,

The bullets have 3 grooves. I have been using alox and again remember the darn thing is near perfect at 50 yd. I need to go back and slug the bore again, make sure I'm not getting pressure escape. It's as if as the bullet becomes unstable due to insufficient spin as it passes 50 yd. Theoretically there should be plenty of spin with that charge and relatively short bullet but perhaps not if I'm getting blow by.

The rifling is original but clean. I also haven't messed with the crown.

Rick

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Rick R,
    PM me and I will happily share some Smith info with you. I also have a few muskets available for anyone in need of one.......

Region:
    Rick,

I would be very surprised if Alox is keeping the fouling soft... Our 'lube' isn't meant to reduce friction. It's meant to be absorbed by the fouling to keep it soft thus not clogging the grooves.

I still think you're fouling out, but of course it may not be your particular issue....
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Mike,

I'm open to just about anything. If it were the lube I'd think that at 50 yd toward the end of an event I would see a drop off in accuracy. I was shooting on a lousy team back then so it had plenty of opportunity to acquire fouling. Heck I shot a 15 for 15 pigeon board with it. I haven't had access to a range in a long time so unfortunately unlike the old days I don't have notes on experiments and such.

Region:
    Rick,

When you clean, how 'hard and crispy' is the fouling? Is the patch sliding through easily, pushing out the mushy fouling, or are you getting a good amount of resistance and its coming out more like chunks/sheets?

I'm still surprised/amazed/skeptical about using Alox as your sole lubricant...

I'll post up the question to the organization about using JUST Alox as lube and see what folks say/think. I'll do it separately as not to clog-up this post.

-Mike
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    9996V

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Mike,

No hard crispy fouling or anything else unusual.

Thanks

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    You may want to try this bullet (Lee 50 cal Real 320). Pack the grooves with Lens Lube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-08-2021 at 05:59 PM.