Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1863 Enfield with pictures

Team:
    1st Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

1863 Enfield with pictures

I have been looking at a 1863 Enfield that was brought back from Afghanistan. It looks pretty original but I sure am no expert. Most of the lock parts that I could see had markings on them. The barrel also had proofs. I tried to put pictures with this post but can't figure out how to do it.

If someone can help identify this as real or fake I would appreciate it. I can send pictures but evidently not through this forum.

Thanks,

Des
    Des Donnelly

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    You can post pictures, the one way I know if doing it is to upload the pictures on photobucket, and then just post the html. links.

hope it helps
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

Region:
    Visitor
    If it is from Afghanistan it is likely some model of Enfield and not a reproduction. Was it used in the American CW, most likely not. It may also be a combination of parts, some locally made and some robbed from other Enfields. These guns are still in use in that part of the world and are very easy to come by. Before you spend money do some google searches for antique arms dealers and look at the CW enfields they have for sale. Many of the dealers will specify all the markings on the guns and tell what some mean. One thing is for sure, the markings on an American CW Enfield will not match the markings on an Afghanistan Enfield except for maybe a makers mark or proof mark.
    Jim Mayo

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    10605V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    If you send the pics to martini@rica.net, I'll put them up on my fototime.com site for you.

You might also want to run the gun by the guys at www.martiniforum.org as we have several folks there who have first-hand experience shopping the bazaars in Kabul and Kandahar.
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Team:
    3020V
    Region:
    I was in Afghanistan for 3 years and I looked at every Enfield I could get my hands on.

As my fellow Virginian, Jim Mayo, said, the Enfields run anywhere from totally correct to totally native made, with many in between. I picked up a horse pistol that has a great lock, but I'm sure that the stock was made in the 20th century.

I saw good ones that were made by Enfield and I also saw ones that were built by the same contractors that shipped weapons to the Confederacy and to the d**n Yankees.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    10605V
    Region:

To me, the lock looks legit, but the barrel proofs look like very good fakes. Instead of an "X" they should have crossed batons. And the "2" should be "25". If the barrel is real, it's probably been scrubbed and re-marked.

Cheers,

Mike
    "Stay on target...stay on target..." Red Leader, Battle of Yavin

Team:
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina

Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures. The individual I purchased this from had 10 rifles he had brought back. Everything I shoot is a reproduction and would like to have an original of something. Even if the lock is all that is original that is OK for what I paid for the complete rifle.

Thanks again
    Des Donnelly

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    CENSORED
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Region:
    Visitor
    Just to add a little bit of general info to clear things up. RSAF stands for Royal Small Arms Factory. They made arms under contract exclusively for the British Government. They were not the makers of the Tower Enfields usually seen in this country. The Tower marked Enfields were made in Birmington usually by the Birmingham Small Arms Trade which sold most of the Enfields used in this Country. The next largest seller of Enfields to this country (either side, take your pick) was the London Arms company. As a result the RSAF, London Armory and the Birmingham guns will all have some different markings, especially the lock marking and proof marks. Bottom line is that the Afgan guns are authentic Enfields but were not marked like the ones used in our CW. Very few of the RSAF ever showed up over here. (Generally Speaking) With Enfields there are always surprises.
    Jim Mayo

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    CENSORED
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66