Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple Burnside Repair Needed, Who Works on These Guns?

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    It's the 56-390A from Accurate Moulds. I still haven't cast with it, but holding out hope it will do well.
    Nice I went with the 56-350B
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I hope this doesn't come across as negative but Burnside carbines perform about as well on the line as the original Burnside did at Fredericksburg. Ambrose developed the gun in collaboration with his friend Rube and really didn't have time to work out the bugs before the big conflab got going. You're not probably quite there yet but eventually you'll probably achieve greater help and solace consulting with an N-SSA chaplain than with BB techies. I know you can find them in the Southern regions -- not too sure about Joe Biden's north.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've not tried the 56-350B. I do have the 56-340B, but it never shot well. I've been using the 56-450B. It has worked better than the 56-340B for me, but still not great. I understand that some 5th model Burnsides won't feed the 56-450B unless you remove the guide screw, but they feed fine in mine. Although an unfired round will sometimes hang up on the tip of the bullet if you try to unload it. I just shoot them into the backstop like I would a muzzle loader.

Carolina Reb developed the 56-390A. It is almost exactly like the original Burnside bullet (Original didn't have the flat 'meplat' on the nose and I think he enlarged the lube grooves a bit). I don't think he has made his Burnside into a tack driver yet, but he says the 56-390A performs better than any other he has tried. I hope to try soon and see for myself.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    I have never had good luck with bullets lighter than 390 grains in a Burnside (that's in three different carbines). In addition to being too light, the lube grooves in the Rapine bullet were too small. That feature has been copied on several other molds. Even if you get it to shoot, accuracy only lasts 6 or 8 shots.

Eggman, my first breechloader was a Burnside (should have never sold it!). After a lot of load development it shot the old Dixie bullet (~400 grains) very well. Not Distinguished Skirmisher well, but top half of the A Team well. The day I shot pickup with the First Florida they invited me back.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post

Eggman, my first breechloader was a Burnside (should have never sold it!). After a lot of load development it shot the old Dixie bullet (~400 grains) very well. Not Distinguished Skirmisher well, but top half of the A Team well. The day I shot pickup with the First Florida they invited me back.
    I've heard rumors as such. WOuld love to see.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    It's the 56-390A from Accurate Moulds. I still haven't cast with it, but holding out hope it will do well.
    I just bought one and made the mistake of asking for .558 diameter. Too small and will not fit in my cases while a .562 round ball will fit. Got me. Shot it today with .562 round ball. Put them all in the black.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The diameter of the original bullets are .562 diameter. I have a teammate who has been shooting a Burnside for years and has been successful with a .562" round ball.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbloom2 View Post
    I just bought one and made the mistake of asking for .558 diameter. Too small and will not fit in my cases while a .562 round ball will fit. Got me. Shot it today with .562 round ball. Put them all in the black.
    Have I talked to you guys about the provenance of this gun???? Well never mind that.
    You realize you'll never be accepted in the "Really Cool Bullets Club" with that round ball. How are you lubing? You realize you'll need at least a dozen rounds already well lubed up for a typical team match. Just wondering.