Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokeless Powder Load for Uberti 1860 Henry???

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    13932 271-CV
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Question Smokeless Powder Load for Uberti 1860 Henry???

Does anyone know of a smokeless powder load for the 1860 Henry rifle chambered in 44-40 WCF, using a combination of a 200 grain cast lead bullet and Bullseye smokeless powder? One can of Bullseye pistol powder is all I have left on the shelf here at home and want to use it up.
    Thanks!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I haven't used Bullseye in this cartridge, but M.D. Smiths pages has a recommended start and max load. Looks like these velocities are out of a pistol barrel:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vdupqxvmr...80203.jpg?dl=0
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello:

Since your question involves SAFETY, may I please share some lessons:

I have been down that road and will not use ANY smokeless in a firearm designed for traditional black; even if made of modern materials.

While some do and recite satisfactory VELOCITY results, they do not have or share PRESSURE results.

Please understand that Winchester did extensive testing when transitioning shotshells and other ammunition from black to semi-smokeless to smokeless. It learned that FOR THE SAME VELOCITY AND BULLET WEIGHT, smokeless that produced the same velocity DOUBLED the pressure! That was from Ed Lowery, PhD, Win's Chief Ballistician in the 1980's. He gave me the lab report, but I no longer have it.

I have tested duplex loads with as little as 10% 4759 and other SLOW BURNING smokeless powders in place of 10% black and still found nasty pressure signs.

The toggle linkage in a Henry is not designed for smokeless pressures.
    Red Dot is a nitro based powder and can detonate. Black will not.
    And, an accidental double charge of Red Dot will do dangerous things even to modern guns.
    I try hard not to practice something that I can only do wrong, ONCE.

Humbly and respectcully submitted.

Kevin Tinny

P
    Edited for a typo. Tx.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Thanks Kevin. Dangerous ground for the N-SSA Forum to be treading.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Just wanted to say that when I got into reloading modern ammo 10+ years ago I discovered Mr. Smith's reloading page. Turns out we live in the same town and he invited me over to show me the basics of reloading. Great guy.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I agree 110%. Although there're many very good loads for the Henry using modern powders, the slightest mistake can be VERY DANGEROUS due to extreme pressures in an action originally designed for black powder.
    As for the N-SSA aspect....... You can't hide the difference between black and smokeless powder firing on the line. Most IG's (myself included) do carry a bullet puller. If the need so happens to arise.........

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    13932 271-CV
    Region:

Smokeless 44-40 WCF

Kevin Tinny is absolutely correct. Those brass Henry receivers look paper thin to me and the internal toggle system is not set up to take any kind of abuse at all.

I acknowledge that with most pistol powders like Bullseye that care must be taken not to "double charge' the powder in the cartridge or bad things are going to happen. But I adhere to a rigid quality control of visually inspecting all my charged cases before performing the bullet seating stage.

This visual inspection is facilitated by the use of thin cardboard wads on top of the powder charge. This serves multiple purposes but primarily to make it easy to visually spot a double charged case.

Still I appreciate the words of caution, because it is easy to hurt ourselves or others around us if we do not exercise due diligence.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Ronald Vecchioni - The reproduction 1860 Rifle made by Uberti does not say "Black Powder Only" and even has Italian smokeless powder proofs. However, as Mr. Tinny noted the linkage is n to a robust design. You seem to be very well versed in smokeless powder loading, so there is no ned for me to add additional comments about that.

As Ben Nevlezer pointed out, smokeless powder is not allowed for use in the N-SSA's matches. Additionally, for our newer members, smokeless powder is not allowed to be fired on the National Range, aka Ft. Shenandoah at any time, even if you are just practicing by yourself.

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    13932 271-CV
    Region:

Not at the Fort

Gentlemen,
    Since we haven't had any NSSA skirmishes this year, I've had to get my "shooting fix" at other venues.
    One event is a 200 yard steel silhouette match held monthly at a nearby range.

I've got an abundance of empty Black Hills and Winchester 44-40 WCF brass and want to put it and my Henry to some other use.
    Simply want to shoot smokeless powder at those other matches to ease cleaning the rifle and as a courtesy the guys standing downwind.

Even though it is a black powder cartridge match, very few shooters are actually using black powder. As they say "When in Rome... do as the Romans do!"

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not really at all.

I feel sure it is not an orginal and the repops were made to handle modern ammo.

Have shot my Henry with factory load ammo and also reloaded with unique smokless.

I see nothing wrong with it. OP just look up Lee load manual or some of the others and get data from them.
    I will not give data but if I can will take a picture or scan my load book for you to see and us as you like.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...