Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokeless Powder Load for Uberti 1860 Henry???

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Nevlezer View Post
    I agree 110%. Although there're many very good loads for the Henry using modern powders, the slightest mistake can be VERY DANGEROUS due to extreme pressures in an action originally designed for black powder.
    As for the N-SSA aspect....... You can't hide the difference between black and smokeless powder firing on the line. Most IG's (myself included) do carry a bullet puller. If the need so happens to arise.........

Dang guys, he is just looking to burn powder he has in hand because we are not shoot matches.
    I see nothing wrong with that.

The uberti Repo was not desigened for BP only.
    It was made to use modern ammo in 44-40 and 45 LC

Please prove me wrong if I am!

"due to extreme pressures in an action originally designed for black powder. "
    Find something on the Uberti site to prove this!
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Placing a great deal of faith in our readers' discernment and memory and good common sense. N-SSA is a black powder bunch -- black powder has much more forgiveness than smokeless. Like for example, you could never "blow up" a modern M-16 or M-14 with a blank could you?? Well at Fort Leonard in the Woods Missouri in '67 - '68 we had a steady stream of blown up rifles come through our shop. The rifles were blown up by blanks. The troopers came up with the great idea that filling up a blank to the top with powder from other cartridges would give them a really neat loud bang. That extra powder in a BLANK blew the rifles to smitherines. Some of the troopers faces were not all that pretty afterwards either. I don't like discussion of smokeless powder in any context on this site.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Winchester built their 1873 lever action, which was another toggle action, black powder era rifle, from 1873 until 1923. Lugers are also toggle action and the 9mm Parabellum cartridge operates at much higher pressures than the .44-40.

As noted above, Uberti proofs their cartridge guns with smokeless powder. Any safe handload, suitable for the older actions (NOT the Winchester 1892 and it's clones, nor the Marlins) will be fine in a Uberti.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Placing a great deal of faith in our readers' discernment and memory and good common sense. N-SSA is a black powder bunch -- black powder has much more forgiveness than smokeless. Like for example, you could never "blow up" a modern M-16 or M-14 with a blank could you?? Well at Fort Leonard in the Woods Missouri in '67 - '68 we had a steady stream of blown up rifles come through our shop. The rifles were blown up by blanks. The troopers came up with the great idea that filling up a blank to the top with powder from other cartridges would give them a really neat loud bang. That extra powder in a BLANK blew the rifles to smitherines. Some of the troopers faces were not all that pretty afterwards either. I don't like discussion of smokeless powder in any context on this site.
    You can't fix stupid!
    You again are getting lost.

That has nothing to do with the statements about the design of the Uberti Henry being made for smokless.
    Cut and dry.
    Last edited by MR. GADGET; 12-03-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    15th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    2078V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Smokeless Loads in Henry Rifle

I have shot my Henry rifle with smokeless loads (NOT in N-SSA competition) with no adverse effects. Spent primers show no evidence of excessive pressure. Extra caution using light charges of smokeless is necessary to prevent double charging as others have pointed out. Trail Boss powder is good but my favorite load is a 200 grain RCBS cast bullet over 5.7 grains of Winchester 231 powder. It is important to firmly crimp the bullet to prevent it from being pushed into the case. Less volume in the case will definitely generate dangerously higher pressures. That is not an issue with my BP skirmish load (230 grain bullet over 24.0 grains FFFg & cream of wheat filler) which is a compressed load.

Putting a cardboard or any other wad over the powder in a case that is not completely filled risks ringing the chamber and/or barrel. The bullet acts as a bore obstruction. Be careful!

Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Team:
    Knap's Battery, Pennsylvania Artillery
    2249v
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    I've had success with Trail Boss. Look up the load data it's available online.
    Jim Brady
    2249V
    Knap's Battery

CUM CATAPULTAE PROSCRIBEANTUR TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI CATAPULTAS HABEANT

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Look up Trail Boss load data. Follow directions as with any powder load data. I use for some local cowboy action for added trigger time and shoots one on top of the other.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Winchester used the toggle link up through the M-1876 Rifle, then redesigned everything for the M-1886 Rifle which is much more robust.
    However interesting this thread is, the fellow who initiated this post was only looking to use up a can of Bullseye Powder, and not for solutions on how to use an assortment of powders.