Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&H carbine hammer won't hold at full cock

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

S&H carbine screws

Hi. Anyone have an S&H carbine and able to remove the safety screw? Need to know diameter and thread count/length. Thought my restoration S&H had a busted safety screw, but it was just decades of crud piled into the screw hole.

Also, anyone have a spare buttplate screw to sell? Buttplate and trigger plate screws are exactly the same, which is very nice. Caliper reads the following, along with photo:

Length: total - 1 15/32"; threaded - 59/64"; non-threaded (excl. head) - 29/64"
    Width: thread center - 1/8"; non-threaded - 13/64"
    Thread count: ~9?

Any reason why there are only a handful of threads in the Small Arms folder?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ewmail15; 11-15-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Screw looks odd

Top screw with a point might be a replacement. The screws with points came along after the Civil War. I am thinking late 1800's maybe turn of century.
    Your thoughts?

Harry in Pa.

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Fascinating!

I posted that I thought the screw from this post was a replacement because of the point or gimlet. I vaguely remember that the points were not put on screws until the turn of the Century. The information did not sit right so I googled information on the development of the screw. In furniture a screw with a point was developed in the 1840's which predated the Civil War. The firearms in my collection, the wood screws that hold the trigger assembly and butt plate lack a gimlet. Furniture yes, and firearms maybe. Time to check another source. Here is a google search for your consideration.

https://www.worthpoint.com/articles/...-age-furniture

Putting the stud in Study,
    Harry in Pa.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Ewmail15 - You have asked "Any reason why there are only a handful of threads in the Small Arms folder?" Very simply, the majority of people on this site are competitive shooters, and not really collectors. Hence, the S&H series of arms are not very popular because of the difficulty in shooting them, so there has been very little written about them here.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    John,

I think he was referring to the small number of threads in the Small Arms section in general. I had wondered the same thing. There are only 6 threads to choose from. Seems that anything older than 4 weeks or so is missing from the forum.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Ahh, I was able to correct it. At the bottom of the page there is a section called "Thread Display Options". It was set to "Show threads from the last month". Guess there have only been 6 threads in the last month. I changed mine to "From the beginning" and now there are several pages to choose from.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Information on Civil War small arms on this site is encyclopedic. The thing is, first determine the specific topic you want to research, then enter it in that little blank next to the magnifying glass up above. For example, Smoothbore Theory has been accessed 38,436 times.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    I'm also going to order a swivel base from therifleshoppe today. Emailed them a couple times, asking if the base comes with the two screws. I tried my buttplate screw, as the head in photos looked really close in diameter. Was not a fit for the base screw wood thread - not sure it was too wide, or the thread gap was different. Would anyone be able to remove and measure your base screw for me? Thanks, Eric.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Found the location to see more threads. Thanks Hal. Anyone taken their S&H apart, and could possibly take measurement and a photo of the safety screw? I've made 3/4 trips to Ace, but still haven't found a matching screw pattern.

Region:
    Visitor

safety screw

If you still need the screw size it is a #3. My screw pitch gage only gos up to 40tpi so should be 48tpi. The head is like a pan head. Head Dia. .195" thread length .180" over all length .220"