Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&H carbine hammer won't hold at full cock

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Thanks Plymouth. I'll check online for those selling these small size screws.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    My S&H was missing the extractor. Don't know why, as the spring was still there, and the extractor screw would not move. I used drill bits and extractor bits and the last extractor broke in place - doubled the time to break down the original extractor screw.

You'll need to order a 9/32" -28 tapper. I counted the number of threads (9) with the extractor screw from SS Firearms, and factored in the thread length to come up with 28 threads/inch. Ordered the tapper on eBay a few weeks ago, came earlier this week, and tonight the tapper removed all the remaining metal debris from the old screw still in the female threads. Extractor is operational now. Woohoo!

Might anyone have a few bullet casings I could use to try out the extractor? Repro swivel base and slide bar should be coming from therifleshoppe next week, and a brass piece (forgot company) labeled as replacement for a Smith should be arriving next week as well. Thanks, Eric.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Firing pin locks?

All the S&H firing pins I've seen have what appear to be two halves, pressed into place and somehow holding the firing pin itself in place - sort of like the valve locks that hold engine valves in place with the retainers and valve springs.

The lever arm on my 6431 has a beautiful repair to it that I was planning to remove and weld or replace, but like I stated it's a beautiful example of that era and gunsmith repairs done to make the firearms operational again. Maybe the single-looking donut part that surrounds the firing pin is another repair.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Region:
    Visitor

firing pin

The firing pin is held in with a threaded bushing. I do not see the slots for screwing the bushing out on your photo. There is a good drawing of these parts on page 84 of John Pitmans Breech-loading carbines of the United States Civil War Period. My 3 S&H all have the threaded bushing.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Thanks for sharing Plymouth. I emailed SS Firearms asking if they had the bushing, as they have the firing pin. Any chance you could snap a photo of the page and send my way? ewmail15@gmail.com. Thanks, Eric.

Region:
    Visitor

S&H

I tried to post photos of the drawing and my S&H but for some reason they were huge!! I do not know why, I have posted photos before. Send me your email and I will get them to you.

Region:
    Visitor

S&H

There is a post on this forum that has a photo showing the slots on the bushing. Look up 1862 Sharps & Hankins Navy Carbine Cartridge

Region:
    Visitor

S&H

Firing pin and bushingName:  IMG_0146.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  5.7 KBName:  IMG_0147.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  9.6 KB photos

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Thanks. Phil at SS Firearms replied that he had no bushings, and he needed a bushing years back as well for his restoration.