Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnside Conical Diameter Question.

Region:
    Visitor

Burnside Conical Diameter Question.

What should conical bullets be sized to? Also, to fit in the cases, don't the bullets have to be a certain diameter in order not to shave them in brass cases? If I have a mold made what diameter should I have the mold made to? .556 like the Rapine mold? Do the brass cases expand upon firing to a larger size? I measured my new cases .550 diameter, would not .556 bullets not fit or lead be shaved off? Thanks in advance.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The original Burnside is .562" in diameter. The Rapine bullet is not the correct diameter and is shorter than an original (the bullets cast from the Rapine mould drop from the mould at about .556"). The Rapine bullet also will tumble in flight because of its diameter. You can use a .560" round ball also.
    Last edited by ms3635v; 10-26-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ms3635v View Post
    The original Burnside is .562" in diameter. The Rapine bullet is not the correct diameter and is shorter than an original. The Rapine bullet also will tumble in flight because of its diameter. You can use a .560" round ball also.
    Accurate Molds will make me a .562 mold. Now is there an issue with seating them in the cases since mine seem to measure at .550?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I'll have to say .550 seems quite small to me. Mine are more like .556 or maybe a little bigger. Been a while since I measured them but I bought a .556 mould based on my case ID. It's hard to measure a slug or chamber cast with an odd number of grooves, but I believe my .556 bullets to be undersized for my barrel and also feel that is the reason I can't get it to shoot very well. After having gotten the mould I discovered that chambering the brass will crimp the cartridge lip somewhat, so I believe my cases are actually a bit larger than .556 on the ID and that the .556 was being measured on a crimped lip. But I digress....In my opinion, .550 ID cases sound way undersized to me.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I'll have to say .550 seems quite small to me. Mine are more like .556 or maybe a little bigger. Been a while since I measured them but I bought a .556 mould based on my case ID. It's hard to measure a slug or chamber cast with an odd number of grooves, but I believe my .556 bullets to be undersized for my barrel and also feel that is the reason I can't get it to shoot very well. After having gotten the mould I discovered that chambering the brass will crimp the cartridge lip somewhat, so I believe my cases are actually a bit larger than .556 on the ID and that the .556 was being measured on a crimped lip. But I digress....In my opinion, .550 ID cases sound way undersized to me.
    My problem is going to have to fit .562 conicals and round balls in brass cases that are .556 in diameter without shaving. I wonder if the nylon cases are more forgiving. Not surprised if the cases are crimped to create a seal when chambered. I can get a .562 mold from Accurate Molds, the 540390A is for the Burnside and you can request the diameter you wish.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    If you are willing to have a custom mould made, have it made with a rebated base with a diameter that will fit your case mouth.

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    If you are willing to have a custom mould made, have it made with a rebated base with a diameter that will fit your case mouth.
    Good idea. Thank you.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I'm going from memory here, but as I recall, most, if not all of the bearing surface of a Burnside bullet goes down inside the case.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Hal - You are correct in regards to an original Burnside cartridge. The problem today is that the cases are machine turned from solid bar stock, which necessarily leaves heavier case walls which in turn causes the inside diameter to be too small. The original deep drawn very thin brass case walls provide enough clearance for the correct diameter projectiles.
    Last edited by John Holland; 10-26-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Region:
    Visitor
    I was thinking that the case mouths expanded upon firing like modern cartridge cases, thus allowing bullets of greater diameter to be seated. I was also thinking I could anneal them before firing so expansion of the case will be easier. The nylon cases do stretch a bit.