Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
    Hello,

Can an original 3-band barrel be relined ? I was wondering because those barrels are pretty thin near the muzzle and was wondering if that posed any challenge in the relining process. I have two barrels that could stand a relining, but have been hesitant to do that because on the thinness.

Thanks!

Paul
    15th Virginia Cavalry
    Ah, this reminds me of the late John D. Baird, The Buckskin Report, and the glorious 70s. That was the era of the Italian invasion: black powder shooting was suddenly in vogue via Jeremiah Johnson and the like, and the Italians rushed in with low cost muzzle loaders along the Hawken style lines. Baird didn't like them, in particular didn't like the thin metal underneath where the barrel lugs were installed, and didn't like some of the steel being used (too brittle), I think it was Stressproof. Baird's standard was -- every muzzle loader should be able to withstand the firing of a short loaded round. How Baird would react to the modern Buck Rogers styled muzzle loaders is difficult to comprehend.
    Safety isn't usually a topic brought up here Paul so you're somewhat unique. In general our repros are very sound, and the originals very very sound. Remember first, the BP pressure curve is very quick - the max during like the first three inches of ball travel. Pressure down by that thin part very low. The guns were built for combat and are very sound. A visit to one of the CW battlefield museums will provide examples of this soundness. In the chaos of combat many guns withstood multiple loads, short loaded loads, blocked loads etc. etc. About the only safety issue I've encountered with these guns was the cleanout screw in my Smith repro. The screw only had two functioning threads. That cleanout channel has since been sealed up.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-01-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Team:
    15th Virginia Cavalry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update. I followed the advice and gave Bob a call about relining these barrels. We had a great chat about it. He explained what his process was and was very patient with me and my questions. Great guy! I sent him both barrels, and got them back last week. Turn-around time was about 6 weeks. Much faster than I was expecting. I am very impressed by the work! great job ! Based on my experience, i would highly recommend Bob to anyone looking to have a barrel relined. Of course, you guys already knew this and I just found out for myself!

Thanks for the guidance!

Paul L
    15th Virginia Cavalry

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    By the bye, what's being discussed here is a liner job, not a RE-lining. Hoyt has lined numerous barrels for me. Some .69s with barrels extremely thin. He and his granddaughter do superb work.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Dave Fox - When it comes to the barrels we use, the majority of shooters in the N-SSA will use the terms "Liner, Lined, and Re-Lined" interchangeably.

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I had one Re-Lined.

50-70 Gov
    Started life as a musket, made to a 50-70 Trapdoor with a liner, then relined after the liner was shot out.

Very fun gun!
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...