Thread: 54 lorenz

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

54 lorenz

I have a civil war Lorenz. I am shooting a .545 sized minie ,problem is it will shoot fine then 1 in 4 will tumble. 60grs 3f beeswax/ beef tallow lube. I must say the old girl is well used. Any help thanks

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Go small ?

Many on this forum advocate one to two thousandth undersize and let the barrel work its magic. I am a advocate of go small and let the physics of the barrel work its magic. One of Newton's law's is that two things can not occupy the same place at the same time. If the law is broken, it is called an accident. First, do not make the firearm do what it can not do. If you want to shoot a Lorenz with precision and accuracy, buy a repro and have fun. Your Lorenz should be retired to a collection to be studied and admired behind a case. Tumbling is the result of the bullet not expanding and engaging the rifling. Maybe your lead is too hard? If you are using soft lead, try a minie made for the Lorenz. Check with Moose Moulds for a recommendation. Try a minie that is easy to load like 535 and shoot a stout charge. Change your lube to a 50:50 bees wax/ crisco mix with a teaspoon of oil, any vegetable oil even SAE 30 motor oil. Presently, I am into real Bear oil and/or Bear grease. Tinker, tinker, Tinker in scientific way and enjoy the challenge of getting the Lorenz to shoot like a tack driver. When you are exhausted, place the Lorenz in a place of honor in your collection because the firearm has seen the elephant.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    03626v

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Harry,

Where do you get your bear grease and oil?
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:

Lancaster County Gun Show in February.

Every year since there has been sliced bread, the local muzzleloading club has a gun show here in Lancaster County, Pa. One of the vendors is Black Powder, mountain man, live by your wits kind of guy who renders Black Bear fat into Bear oil and/or Bear grease. He uses the stuff for everything from chapped lips to patch lubricate, and he looks three days older than dirt. I asked him where he gets his bear fat. He has a buddy who is taxidermist and he gets the fat from him. The taxidermist is interested in the hide for a mount. Apparently He renders it down into oil and fat and works "wonders" according to him. At the last gun show, the Bear oil was $5 for a couple of ounces and the rendered bear fat was $20 per quart.

Harry
    03626v

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    1860man,

The .54 caliber Lorenz's shoot a .547" bullet. The Lorenz rifles originally used patched Wilkinson compression bullets (patched bullets not allowed in the NSSA). The correct diameter should be should be a snug fit...some competitors like to use bullets that are .001" under bore size. Try powder charges starting at about 42 grains and increase by 2 grain increments until you achieve the tightest group. Always use soft lead. If you get flyers one other possibility could be the loss of a crown at the muzzle. Also check the nipple to be sure it's not enlarged or egged shaped flash hole.
    Last edited by ms3635v; 09-27-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Up until the mid-1980's I used Crisco in my beswax/crisco lube formula. I had two or three "cook-offs" per year.

I quit using Crisco in the mid 1980's AND HAVEN'T HAD A COOK-OFF SINCE.

Avoid using Crisco.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia

Lorenz .

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Gaul View Post
    Many on this forum advocate one to two thousandth undersize and let the barrel work its magic. I am a advocate of go small and let the physics of the barrel work its magic. One of Newton's law's is that two things can not occupy the same place at the same time. If the law is broken, it is called an accident. First, do not make the firearm do what it can not do. If you want to shoot a Lorenz with precision and accuracy, buy a repro and have fun. Your Lorenz should be retired to a collection to be studied and admired behind a case. Tumbling is the result of the bullet not expanding and engaging the rifling. Maybe your lead is too hard? If you are using soft lead, try a minie made for the Lorenz. Check with Moose Moulds for a recommendation. Try a minie that is easy to load like 535 and shoot a stout charge. Change your lube to a 50:50 bees wax/ crisco mix with a teaspoon of oil, any vegetable oil even SAE 30 motor oil. Presently, I am into real Bear oil and/or Bear grease. Tinker, tinker, Tinker in scientific way and enjoy the challenge of getting the Lorenz to shoot like a tack driver. When you are exhausted, place the Lorenz in a place of honor in your collection because the firearm has seen the elephant.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    03626v
    Thanks for the information, will do