Thread: Best repro's for the 1861-64 Springfield rifle

1. Best repro's for the 1861-64 Springfield rifle

Hi guys,

I'm new to the board but not to the history of the Civil War. I would like to get a nice rifle that you can use & shoot that won't break the bank or an absolute piece of junk. I know of several makers names but I don't have any personal experience with them or know what their quality is like.

Since original 1861 Springfields in nice condition can be a bit pricey, would anyone be able to help with advice on buying a reproduction and the specific brand.

I would imagine that repro's vary some between makers in fit, finish, and following the original design of the 1861-64 Springfield.

With that said, which makes are generally the best in quality and require the least work to make it like an original (aka-defarb)?

Thanks,

Martin

Team:
    69th New York State Volunteers
    08619V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Re: Best repro's for the 1861-64 Springfield rifle

The Dixie 1861s made by Miroku of Japan have my vote. The weight and stock appearance are the main reasons I say that. The Italian made models are fine but are ungodly heavy and the wood can have an un-natural appearance for a CW era firearm. Just an opinion......... and you know how that can be.
    Jack Conway
    69th NY

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

My vote also goes with the Miroku repro M1861 from Dixie Gun Works.

Another top contender would be one of the "Skirmish Ready" arms from James River Arms, located in Maryland. You can "Google" their website. They have their full catalog "on line." They have a line of rifel-muskets that are especially made for Skirmish and marksmanship competition. Check 'em out. I have seen several of their rifle-muskets and have been impressed by their quality and accuracy.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

The Miroku is great - I had the opportunity to shoot one several years ago. Alas, however, I think that they are not being made anymore and as of a year ago Dixie Gun Works was sold out.
    The best of the Italian gun makers for this would be Pedersoli. They make a 1861 Springfield. It's rather pricey compared to the ones from ArmiSport & Euroarms but if it's like their other stuff the quality should be very good.
    This bulletin board has a links page and one is to Blair Taylor (Taylor Made Gunsmith). Go to 'Links of Interest" on the home page and look under the list of Sutlers. He works on these guns a lot and makes them more authentic and is very knowledgeable about them, and his work is excellent. I suggest contacting him for his opinions and advise.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Mikea,
    Thank you for the kind words.

Dixie found some Miroku '61 kits, and offered them up for sale last year. How many, I don't know, but they were selling for more than a new finished '61 anybody else was offering.
    Pederosoli's '61 is made by Euroarms of Italy. Fit and finish is different that what Euroarms normally sells
    My suggestion would be Euroarms of America (EoA). They are easier to fit original parts to, if you want to go that rout. And if you need replacement parts, their replacements parts will actually fit their firearms with the least amount of fitting.
    All repro stocks are grossly oversized causing them to be over weight. A stock re work and re finishing can do wounders.
    Blair