Thread: Paper Cartridges

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

Paper Cartridges

I think I've heard this answered before, but I can't be sure and I didn't see an answer in the Rules when I just went through them. Is it permissible to use paper cartridges in Revolver competition? I've never seen it done, but it just seems like a neat thing to do, and it is period correct technology.

TIA ~ Froggie
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Paper Cartridges

Quote Originally Posted by RangerFrog View Post
    I think I've heard this answered before, but I can't be sure and I didn't see an answer in the Rules when I just went through them. Is it permissible to use paper cartridges in Revolver competition? I've never seen it done, but it just seems like a neat thing to do, and it is period correct technology.

TIA ~ Froggie
    Yes. Rule 20.6 (c) Combustible cartridges may be used in revolvers ONLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    OK, I found a thread saying "no" but couldn't find the rule. Still wondering...
    Charlie Shaeff
    1st Valley Rangers
    N-SSA # 12345

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerFrog View Post
    OK, I found a thread saying "no" but couldn't find the rule. Still wondering...
    What is the date of the thread. Rule was passed at the August 2019 BOD meeting. Rule cited is from 2020 Rules

Except from minutes:

Combustible revolver cartridges are allowed. Vote 1 opposed 15 in favor

Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    What is the date of the thread. Rule was passed at the August 2019 BOD meeting. Rule cited is from 2020 Rules

Except from minutes:

Combustible revolver cartridges are allowed. Vote 1 opposed 15 in favor

The rule was passed during an August board meeting after discussion. Combustible paper cartridges were approved for use in Revolvers.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    And the rationale is: Well I fired my six and I only hit one. Quick, you still have 39 seconds left, load six more of those self contained goobers and fire some more.

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    One can use combustible cartridges for revolver, but one can't use combustible cartridges, patches or wads with single shot pistols. Why am I confused here?

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dixon View Post
    One can use combustible cartridges for revolver, but one can't use combustible cartridges, patches or wads with single shot pistols. Why am I confused here?
    The same reason you can?t use paper with a muzzleloading long arm (musket, carbine, Smoothbore). Is a revolver muzzle loaded, yes. Is it reloaded during an event, no. Therefor, no chance for a cook off related to embers from in unburnt paper.

Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Patches and wads, like all down-the-barrel paper, probably is from the legacy fear of cook-offs. Though I think it is unfounded, that's probably why. I think it's unfounded because anything that is completely on top of the charge is pretty much guaranteed to be blasted out of the barrel.

Combustible cartridges down a muzzle loader is asking for trouble in a serious way. I've had 3 cookoffs in the 9 years I've been doing this, and that's just when you pour loose powder down the barrel. Imagine shoving a complete cartridge down with a ramrod and finding the ember then!

With revolvers, there is probably very little chance of a cookoff, if for no other reason than the amount of time between shooting and loading. That said, I'm surprised that paper revolver cartridges became acceptable before paper-patched muzzle loading bullets (like the Enfield cartridge) did. With paper-patched muzzle loading bullets, the paper is on top of the charge. There is virtually zero chance of any paper remaining in the barrel after firing a shot. Whereas with paper cartridges that are both around the sides of and behind the charge, there is very often paper remnants left in the chamber.

If there ever was a revolver cookoff while driving a cartridge home with a rammer, I expect that would be ugly.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Patches and wads, like all down-the-barrel paper, probably is from the legacy fear of cook-offs. Though I think it is unfounded, that's probably why. I think it's unfounded because anything that is completely on top of the charge is pretty much guaranteed to be blasted out of the barrel.

Combustible cartridges down a muzzle loader is asking for trouble in a serious way. I've had 3 cookoffs in the 9 years I've been doing this, and that's just when you pour loose powder down the barrel. Imagine shoving a complete cartridge down with a ramrod and finding the ember then!

With revolvers, there is probably very little chance of a cookoff, if for no other reason than the amount of time between shooting and loading. That said, I'm surprised that paper revolver cartridges became acceptable before paper-patched muzzle loading bullets (like the Enfield cartridge) did. With paper-patched muzzle loading bullets, the paper is on top of the charge. There is virtually zero chance of any paper remaining in the barrel after firing a shot. Whereas with paper cartridges that are both around the sides of and behind the charge, there is very often paper remnants left in the chamber.

If there ever was a revolver cookoff while driving a cartridge home with a rammer, I expect that would be ugly.

Steve
    Again, 1 or your examples is being reloaded every 20 seconds and the other a minimum of 5 minutes. There?s a big difference there.

Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B