Thread: Happy Gallager....

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Happy Gallager....

Just leaving the December Franklin, Tennessee CW show, I was sung to by an unissued Gallager with later, fast twist rifling in a mirror-bright bore, all attached to a reasonable price tag which was negotiated south. In my declining years I've become attracted to carbines with bad reputations, and Gallager's a poster child. Ordered up brass from S&S and, with that brass loaded with 2.8 cc FFFg and my old standby .515" Rapine bullets, I repaired to the range last winter. The results were not good. Corresponded with Moose and Moosette of Moose Moulds, resulting in brass and a mould flying back and forth until I've got a mould which casts something like a heeled bullet: .515 shank topped by a .525 driving band. Thumb-seats in my Gallager, Maynard, and Smith brass. In the Gallager, the driving band just enters the rifling when the action is closed. Attached target of first five shots fired on our 50 yard sissy range. Point of aim was the bottom of the bull. Maynard grouped well, too, but a good 18" high. Have yet to try the Smith. Praise to Moose and Moosette and thanks for their patience sorting this out with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    56th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    So happy to hear that the final version of the mould is working to your liking!!
    It was a pleasure working with you on this project!
    Enjoy Your holiday weekend,
    Moosette