Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTM / WTS: Peep Sight Tool

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Peep Sight Tool - Group Buy

These tools, new, are no longer available.
    I have designed a new version and would like to have enough sold to make it worth while to have them made.
    The main change was to close the base of the tool so it wouldn't flex when locked onto a sight.
    Also changed the size of the right side to make it easy to get to the leaf screw.

To be able to sell them for around $125 will take 25 members of a "group buy" and less then $100 if there are 50 or more.

Please let me know what you think of the design and if you'll become a "group buy member".

Orin
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by 762x51; 06-17-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Feedback being offered here. I had an opportunity to buy one of these a couple of years ago, both used and new. I passed because the design is too crude to allow you to make precise adjustments to "dial in" elevation and windage. There should be 4-40 lead screws for both up/down and right/left to facilitate this.

Because I can handle up and down changes with my mill, I made my own device to make windage adjustments in .005" increments on carbine & musket front sights. I would not be interested in buying one of these.

It's not my style to "knock" someone else's products. I'd rather say positive things, if I can. This tool as it was originally offered served a purpose, but in my opinion, for very little extra effort, it could have been a lot better.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Region:
    Thanks for saying I was looking to "knock" someones product.

This is something no longer available unless you find a used one.
    I did make a couple of improvements to the device.
    I would not have spent any time on this project if the original one was still for sale.
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Fine with the design, have one and would buy another with the improvement of the boxed base. It should keep it tight.
    L and R I'm fine with.

To add the screw adjustment up down left and right would be great? But doing so would add a bunch to the price. It was looked at before.

As for the a newer design,.I would check with Tom Crone on his. He was working on a new improved and last he said he was going to produce them. Have not seen his design.

If ther was a way to turn the one or both of the main screws to add steps, grooves, almost like threads and use a pointed set screw so you can move up and down in the notch one at a time, that would be cheap and easy to make it better.

Or Two threaded holes in the adjustment bar left and right of the peep adjustment.
    You would only use one but if the peep is more left you could use the threaded hole on the right and so on. That would work for a long set screw that you could turn up or down for at least one fine adjustment. Usine a allen wrench you could see the 1/4 1/2 and full turn.
    This adds two steps to the build just using a drill tap.

Anyways, you know me. I'm always game for something I don't have or something improved.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The closed box is a good modification. I welded one of the original ones up to have a closed box so it would not flex when clamped. Best of luck to you.

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    The closed box is a good modification. I welded one of the original ones up to have a closed box so it would not flex when clamped. Best of luck to you.
    I just got off the phone with George (Tennessee bullet molds) and we talked about that very thing.
    Closing in the end and making it longer will solve some issues.
    George will look over my design next week.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Thanks for saying I was looking to "knock" someones product.
    I think you are misunderstanding what Bob was saying. He was not saying you were looking to knock someone's product.

He was said:
    It's not my style to "knock" someone else's products.
    What I believe he means to say is he was not trying to knock (talk bad about) your product. He was simply offering helpful suggestions.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    There is no doubt...you need a solid box to get the accuracy, you're doing all this work to achieve. The flex inherent in the old open frame ruins the whole project. Every time you put it on the sight it MUST be the same P.S.I. on the screws on the side of the sight base, or your attempts are guesses. I'll buy a closed frame!!!
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    What I believe he means to say is he was not trying to knock (talk bad about) your product. He was simply offering helpful suggestions.

Steve
    Thank's Steve. That was exactly my intent.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions", from Henry G. Bohn, A Hand-book of Proverbs in 1855.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    V5974
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The flexing is an issue on the original one I bought, but with the open design, in can be used on different styles of sights.
    ".....mix 'em up...I'm tired of States Rights....."