Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use fiber wads in carbine ammunition?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Can you use fiber wads in carbine ammunition?

Can you use fiber wads as filler in carbine or other cartridge-based long arm ammunition in N-SSA competition?

I'm going to experiment with using fiber wads between the powder wad and the bullet in my Sharps.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Allegheny City Guard
    5875V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Can you use fiber wads as filler in carbine or other cartridge-based long arm ammunition in N-SSA competition?

I'm going to experiment with using fiber wads between the powder wad and the bullet in my Sharps.

Steve
    Well I have been using cream of wheat filler in my Maynard, and a "Wad" in my
    wife's Gallagher.

Revolver using cream of wheat filler.

Rules may be different for for Sharps???????????

Jim Whitehouse Sr. 5875V
    Allegheny City Guards

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post

Steve

Brother Steve,

Here's your PERFECT opportunity to order a 2021 Mini-Compendium, replete with the current Skirmish Rules!

Hot off the press, I have one ready for you.

For the low cost of $18 you'll have at your finger-tips any-and-all skirmish related answers covered under the: Skirmish Rules, SAC Repo Arms, Board of Directors Policies, current N-SSA Bylaws, the Fort's Emergency Evac Plan, and the Building Code at the Fort!

Send me an email: rdfreeman1906@gmail.com and I'll be MORE than happy to fill your order!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Steve,

Are you using Charlie's tubes or rolling your own? I roll mine because my .50 cal Shiloh likes the tubes so much it doesn't want to part with them and they remain in the chamber about 60% of the time.

If you roll your own you might want to try a tapered mandrel. My tubes fit a Brooks bullet base at the wide end and taper to about 5/32 at the other end. This reduces the volume sufficiently to bring the end of the tube about 1/16 in from the face of the breach while holding 43 gr of powder with no need for filler.

Rick

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    To answer your question: YES

22.1 AMMUNITION, GENERAL
    a. Ammunition shall consist of a lead or lead alloy projectile and a pre‐measuredcharge of black powder.
    b. Projectiles may be coated with a lubricant, and hollow bases may be filled withlubricant.
    c. Carbine I and II, revolver, single‐shot pistol, and breechloading rifleammunition may include non‐explosive, non‐metallic filler, such as Cream ofWheat or wads.

-​Boots
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Brother Steve,

Here's your PERFECT opportunity to order a 2021 Mini-Compendium, replete with the current Skirmish Rules!

Hot off the press, I have one ready for you.

For the low cost of $18 you'll have at your finger-tips any-and-all skirmish related answers covered under the: Skirmish Rules, SAC Repo Arms, Board of Directors Policies, current N-SSA Bylaws, the Fort's Emergency Evac Plan, and the Building Code at the Fort!
    Thanks Rob! I just keep a PDF of the rules on my phone. I was just lazy and didn't want to go digging for the info.

22.1 AMMUNITION, GENERAL
    a. Ammunition shall consist of a lead or lead alloy projectile and a pre‐measuredcharge of black powder.
    b. Projectiles may be coated with a lubricant, and hollow bases may be filled withlubricant.
    c. Carbine I and II, revolver, single‐shot pistol, and breechloading rifleammunition may include non‐explosive, non‐metallic filler, such as Cream ofWheat or wads.

Thanks Michael! I was hoping someone would dig it out for me!

Are you using Charlie's tubes or rolling your own? I roll mine because my .50 cal Shiloh likes the tubes so much it doesn't want to part with them and they remain in the chamber about 60% of the time.

If you roll your own you might want to try a tapered mandrel. My tubes fit a Brooks bullet base at the wide end and taper to about 5/32 at the other end. This reduces the volume sufficiently to bring the end of the tube about 1/16 in from the face of the breach while holding 43 gr of powder with no need for filler.
    I roll my own. I'm using the Eras Gone Richmond Sharps bullet, which has a very long heel close in diameter to the chamber. So there isn't much room for a cardboard tube wall. Basically .007-.009" of wall thickness is all you get. I love the bullet because with the long heel the bullets stay in the cartridge and don't fall out/off.

Originally I was making my tubes out of simple rectangles of paper glued and rolled around a mandrel.

But I recently adopted the Ordnance Manual pattern for the Sharps cartridge, shortened in length to 1.5" long to match my Pedersoli 1859 chamber length. I also started using plain computer paper. Did a load workup last weekend, and it works very, very well. I used to use 17 pound vellum, which fractured and exited the chamber fully. But it turns out that these spiral-wrapped tubes almost never leave any remnants behind, and when they do, it's a small bit of charred husk that crumbles to nothing if you touch it. I really like these spiral-wound Ordnance Manual tubes as they make a very strong cartridge. When you shove them in the chamber they don't collapse or crumple like my first cartridges did.

One thing I hope to gain from the internal wad is it will make the cartridge that much more rigid and durable. If it doesn't help accuracy I won't bother though.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bodner View Post
    To answer your question: YES

22.1 AMMUNITION, GENERAL

-​Boots
    At face value, there must be a typo error with this rule. You cannot use wads in Smoothbore or any muzzleloading arms, of which, a single shot pistol is both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Paul,

You found a conflict in rules...

Rule 20.7.3-j says NO to wads over powder is smoothbore guns, including pistols..

BIG book!!

Boots
    Mike 'Bootsie' Bodner
    Palmetto Sharpshooter's, Commander
    9996V

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bodner View Post
    Paul,

You found a conflict in rules...

Rule 20.7.3-j says NO to wads over powder is smoothbore guns, including pistols..

BIG book!!

Boots
    Not a typo, error or conflict, it's an exception
    Chris Sweeney

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sweeney View Post
    Not a typo, error or conflict, it's an exception
    There is no exception for the use of filler or wads in Single Shot pistol. Please clarify.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B