Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Late Al Myers Collection At Auction

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Guess it makes me old but I remember when I paid 20% to the auction house and buyer's fees hadn't been thought up yet Now it sounds like robbery.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    The 1941 Jeep & Trailer in the auction is the same one that Jack Rawls used to drive around at Ft. Shenandoah! Al myers had purchased it from the Jack Rawls estate after Jack passed away.
    I well remember Jack roaring through the Fort in that Jeep. I often wondered how he kept from rolling it over. I suspect a touch of the barley may have involved.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    27th North Carolina State Troops
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    I well remember Jack roaring through the Fort in that Jeep. I often wondered how he kept from rolling it over. I suspect a touch of the barley may have involved.
    I think they called it "provost patrol". I remember them too, even went on one once, never again!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Auction fees

There are still auction houses that charge a reasonable amount. I have never paid more than 15%. These type are getting hard to find because they have discovered that they can hit the buyers a very heavy percent in addition to what they get from the seller but they are out there. I am finding freight costs have risen and can really bite into your net sales price plus the risk of shipping.
    I have given instructions to my wife on how to dispose legally of any firearms I might have in event of my passing. For antique arms there are still a few good gun shows where you can get a fair percentage of the value of item.

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    9643V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Do the math

When bidding on an item at any auction you have to know and calculate all the fees, taxes, etc., and adjust your bid accordingly. I purchased one item from this auction, my winning bid was $550. I drove the 100 miles one way yesterday to pick the item up in person to save shipping and the extra 3 percent cc fee by paying with a check. My $550 bid ended up being a check for $717. I am still very happy with my purchase and even happier that I ended up with more than I expected. Al had some amazing stuff! However, the wifeepoo, who wasn't thrilled with my winning bid to begin with, really wasn't impressed when she saw the check stub!
    It was a very impressive auction but the fees really are ridiculous.

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Glad to hear you made out well. In spite of my growling about the fees I bit the bullet and registered and placed a bid on a Parker Hale I had a hankering for. All fine and dandy. Next day (of the sale) get an email telling me my registration application had now been denied after approval and taking my bid no less the day before. Somewhat miffed I told them to stuff it in polite terms. I received a reply about my lack of professional response and would be blocked from further auctions. I pointed out their professionalism in allowing me to register and bid and then withdrawing the same with short notice. Guess maybe I have a low credit score because I pay for everything and only use a Visa debit card? Should have pointed out since I was denied anyway how was I going to be blocked in the future??? No matter scored a nice looking 50 caliber CVA Flintlock Hawkin with very tasteful silver inlays at the local shop today for a song