Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scarcity of Whitney revolver repro?s

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Scarcity of Whitney revolver repro?s

It?s been many years since a reproduction Whitney percussion revolver has been reproduced. They now seem to have moved into the collector category in terms of pricing. The Spiller & Burr is based on the Whitney design and it probably would not take a great leap for Pietta to move from Brass frame to steel. If Pietta did come out with a new run of Whitney?s it would give those of us who love cap and ball revolvers a new toy to enjoy.

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Same could be said for many of the other guns also.
    When Euro Arms folded many of the shooter guns went also.
    Look at the R&S and other Remingtons along with many muskets that were go to guns for new members.

Not long back you could get a good revolver for 250 and a musket for 350 new.
    Now the same guns start in the 500 to 600 for a revolver and 700 plus for a musket.

SB were everyplace for 575$ now they are mid 900$ and you dont see many.most the sutlers had several like 5 or 6 to pick wood, now they have one in stock and wait for others or go pick them up at the importer.

I sure miss Euro Arms being down town Winchester.
    Made trip every nationals to pick up a gun or two.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

The Whitney, FWIW....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Weems View Post
    It?s been many years since a reproduction Whitney percussion revolver has been reproduced. They now seem to have moved into the collector category in terms of pricing. The Spiller & Burr is based on the Whitney design and it probably would not take a great leap for Pietta to move from Brass frame to steel. If Pietta did come out with a new run of Whitney?s it would give those of us who love cap and ball revolvers a new toy to enjoy.
    Some years ago I picked up a Whitney on a whim. What I found was that the space between the trigger guard and the handle was pretty tight and the trigger guard caught me right across the arthritic knuckle of my middle finger, rather uncomfortable.
    Bottom line, if you have arthritis in your shooting hand the Whitney might not be your cup of tea. I subsequently avoided the .36 Navy with the square back trigger guard for the same reason.

Bill Shuey
    1st Maine

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I picked up a Palmetto Whitney quite a few years ago (long enough ago that it was $170). It needed a lot of work to shoot reasonably well. Indexing was way off, chambers were undersize, lousy trigger, awful cones, and most of the other repro problems. It became a project. I ended up making a correct length loading lever (they used the same lever as a Spiller & Burr, which is short), and put walnut grips on it as well. After a lot of work it actually shoots well and looks good too. It's light, handy and recoil isn't much more than a 22. If you like to tinker and can find an old Palmetto, it's worth the effort.

Team:
    2nd Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    6194V
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    One of our teammates bought a new Palmetto Whitney and tried shooting revolver matches with it. He had Tri-L do a trigger job and there was some other work done to it, can't say who did it. The project was a failure, wouldn't group and he abandoned it. I have heard other complaints on the trigger guard and grip being too close elsewhere.

While the Spiller & Burr was based on the Whitney there is a significant difference between the frames, not just the material either. For a company producing a S&B to put an accurate Whitney on the market they would almost have to start from scratch as a new design.

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I had one several year ago where the htread on either the barrel or the frame were not cut perpendicular to the frame. You could visibly detect the barrel veering off to the side! Didn't group too bad, but it did it on the next target over!

That kind of QC might explain why you don't see them much anymore
    Chris Sweeney

Team:
    3rd US Regular Infantry
    7003V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I was (am still) looking for one also. I have heard that there were a lot of issues with them. I am like St. Jude, the champion of lost causes...I buy something and try to get it to shoot, and when I get bored, I let them go. If I am successful, they get to stay. I never did buy a repro Starr, when they were plentiful!

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Blame the European Union for high replica prices from Italy. Italy is and was the second most industrialized country in Europe.

Before Italy joined the EU, the Italian government would constantly devalue the Lira, that kept exports high and money flooding into Italy.

Since Italy is now a member of the EU, they can no longer devalue their money.

Brexit gives us hope, IF Italy leaves the EU, you can expect replica prices in the USA to fall.

P.S. The first Brexit occurred on July 4, 1776

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Found it, I knew I had one of these! I have no idea who made it, it is completely unmarked. I never shot it now I'm curious. I do remember it set me back $15 some time in the 80's, picked it up at a skirmish in Wisconsin.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    If it's a Palmetto, on the bottom of the grip frame next to the serial number there will be a Palmetto tree in a small circle.