Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallagher conundrum & Moose Moulds

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Gallagher conundrum & Moose Moulds

In the autumn of my years I've started accumulating shootable CW carbines. The Gallagher has such a vile reputation I naturally had to purchase a tight one with an excellent later fast twist bore at last year's Dalton show...you remember shows, don't you? Anyway, brass is available but finding a proper heeled bullet was elusive. Contacted Moose and Mousette by message on Moose Moulds website. They worked with me, several phone conversations and sending a mould back and forth until, trying it today, the heeled bullet cast from this quality mould is a perfect fit. If the Gallagher doesn't perform...and few wartime users said it would, it's not the mould's fault. Highest recommendation for Moose and Moosette.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Please let us know how it does and please post pictures of the bullet. I've been playing with an original also, but have been using a Buffalo arms 56-56 Spencer bullet with decent results.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The Gallager shoots a .520" bullet (or sized to .518") very well. There is a Middle Atlantic Region shooter who shoots a Gallager with excellent results.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    56th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this Dave! Moose was certainly determined to get this working for you - he takes a special pride in being able to help shooters with having "all the right stuff" to be able to enjoy their hobby!

Can't wait to hear how it performed!

Stay Healthy, and thank you again

Moosette

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Gallagher and Moose Mould

Took the Gallagher and ten rounds to the range this fine morning. The brass cases were loaded with FFg up to the rim of the cases' powder chamber, about 35 grains. SPG dip lubed. The dedicated Moose Mould bullet weighs 315 grains. The diameter below the front driving band is about .515" and is a very snug fit in the brass, but caused no trouble. The top driving band is approximately .525" diameter, making this, in effect, a heeled bullet. Loaded in the chamber, the driving band enters the rifling but this doesn't impede the closing of the breech. The target was fired at 50 yards from a rest, ten shots.
    I'm pleased with these initial results. They give me a rational starting point upon which to build. The point of aim was the bottom of the bull. All bullets were stabilized. The rear sight of the Gallagher will take some getting used to, which alone will tighten the group up considerably. Thanks again Mooses!
    The carbine, probably the most reviled of those produced during the war, performed flawlessly, but for the commonly encountered nuisance of the fired brass loitering in the breech chamber rather than the barrel when the action was opened.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dave Fox; 05-07-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Gallagher cartridge and Moose bullet

Gallagher cartridge and Moose-moulded bullet.

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:

Good news and have you tried?

I am glad to hear that you are experiencing good results with your Gallagher. I have heard that Robert Hoyt can reline the barrel and rework the breech to accept the Smith case. It may be a good idea to convert to the Smith format. Smith cases are reasonable as compared to the Gallagher cases. Gallagher cases like the Burnside and Maynard cases are expensive per piece to say the least . Check with SAC to determine if this path is still a viable option or forge ahead with your plans to shoot the Gallagher in its present format.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    03626v

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Do shoot a Smith and, given my limitations, it shoots well (see picture of a 50-yard target from last week). Naturally, as it's mine, the cheaper plasticy cases won't fit. Have 20 brass cases for the Gallagher. Having my friend Bobby Hoyt convert it, though objectively perhaps a good idea, would defeat the purpose of experiencing the Gallagher much like its its unappreciative Yankee audience did.

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Gaul View Post
    I am glad to hear that you are experiencing good results with your Gallagher. I have heard that Robert Hoyt can reline the barrel and rework the breech to accept the Smith case. It may be a good idea to convert to the Smith format. Smith cases are reasonable as compared to the Gallagher cases. Gallagher cases like the Burnside and Maynard cases are expensive per piece to say the least . Check with SAC to determine if this path is still a viable option or forge ahead with your plans to shoot the Gallagher in its present format.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,
    Harry
    03626v
    I could be wrong but I think most of the Smith case conversions to Gallaghers By Bob are done on Erma repros that he relines to .50 cal. He did mine and suggested I stay with the Gallagher case. They're pricey but virtually indestructible. I understand that those rechambered for the Smith have to be inspected for a SAC card.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Gemmer - You are correct on all counts.