Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 69 cal sizing dies.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Still up and running. Reached out, exchanging emails about how big they can go on the sizers threaded for reloading presses. I'm threatenin' to put together a fun flintlock rifle based upon a Pedersoli 1816 with rifled barrel adapted to various projectiles. Probably use the barrel mounted flip up sight assembly such as used on the percussion conversions of 1816's. For right now I'm experimenting with the smooth bore, (.653, .678 & .683) round ball and a simple fixed rear sight mounted on a spare rear barrel band.

So any how, 0.600 is just about the safe limit on the sizer, to have enough metal remaining in the walls between the sizer bore and the threaded outside diameter. Not big enough for my project, not big enough for the .69 sizer needed by the gentleman making the original post.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Some of the larger heavier presses (like a Rock Chucker) have a larger threaded portion to take larger dies like .50 BMG and such. I bought one to do .577 Snider with. They have a bushing for the smaller 7/8-14 dies, but if you remove the bushing, it is threaded for 1-1/4-12. There's no reason one couldn't have sizing dies made in 1-1/4-12 for larger calibers if so desired.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbler View Post
    Still up and running. Reached out, exchanging emails about how big they can go on the sizers threaded for reloading presses. I'm threatenin' to put together a fun flintlock rifle based upon a Pedersoli 1816 with rifled barrel adapted to various projectiles. Probably use the barrel mounted flip up sight assembly such as used on the percussion conversions of 1816's. For right now I'm experimenting with the smooth bore, (.653, .678 & .683) round ball and a simple fixed rear sight mounted on a spare rear barrel band.

So any how, 0.600 is just about the safe limit on the sizer, to have enough metal remaining in the walls between the sizer bore and the threaded outside diameter. Not big enough for my project, not big enough for the .69 sizer needed by the gentleman making the original post.
    I did something similar to your 1816 "fun flintlock" idea around five years ago. I acquired an 1816 stock, percussion converted lock and all hardware, minus a barrel. The forend beyond the rear barrel band was trash so a replacement piece was spliced under the band. I reconverted the lock to flint. The repro frizzen would not spark even after repeated hardening attempts so it got a half sole. Dan Whitacre made me a flint, rifled barrel with typical three groove rifling. The rear sight is a simple dovetailed sight as per contract rifles of the same period. I removed the front sight blade from the front band and put a Richmond type on the barrel instead. It's never going to get a SAC card but it's a great shooter with the Rapine mini or a patched ball.