Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sharps paper cartridge

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

paper

Yes Rick we did figure out the "magic" for a 50 caliber Sharps as a matter of fact, my son Tim won first place 50 yrd expert class last Fall Nationals!!

Kevin

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I got 50 glued up with my new modified Ordnance Manual pattern. Instead of rectangular pieces rolled into tubes, these are trapezoids. Makes for a stronger cartridge. I'm going to go shooting on Sunday to see if they will blast clear of the breech on use. I also made these out of regular computer paper instead of the 17 pound vellum I normally use. I also made up a few with the vellum and the modified OM pattern to see how they do, too.

This is the Eras Gone Richmond Laboratories Sharps bullet. I like using it with paper cartridges because it has a long heel so it stays glued in its tube.

Full size here: https://i.imgur.com/1Qjm0DQ.jpg
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Here is the detail on what I recommend for closing the base. This is an evolved process and what I like to use. If coating the tube is required I like shellac and the inside does not need to be 100% covered. This just makes the tube more brittle and helps it to break up. The information is on my website, hahnmachineworks.com.

Charlie

Paper on base, and cartridge assembly:

There are several ways. The one you heard me talk about is as follows.

Cut the hair curler paper into 5/8 to 3/4 squares. I take about 20 sheets of paper, and staple along one edge, mark it into squares and cut with sharp scissors.

Lay these out on a table, (careful not to sneeze). Take a butter lid and put a puddle of Elmer's white glue and spread it out. Dip the end of the tube in the glue, then press the tube onto the paper, place open end down in a loading block and arrange the tubes with the corners touching. Light the edge of one and just wait. It will burn the excess off and set the glue. This needs to be done while the glue is still wet, so I keep it at about 25 at a time. You will need to do maybe 5 until you get the hang of it. Sometimes the flame will jump over and burn out the middle, just re-glue and go again.

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

sharps

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    That's funny Bob I shoot a sharps and want to play with a Maynard. You shoot that Maynard too darned well glad to see you change!

Is your Sharps .54 cal or .50? I haven't had any luck getting Charlie's tubes to shoot out of my .50 Shiloh. I haven't tried shellac on the ID yet, that's the last thing Charlie mentioned. I think Kevin has a .50, must have found the magic.
    Don't know if I am going to switch as yet but going to hve some fun . Bob