Thread: Glass Bedding

Team:
    Baltimore Rifles, 1st Maryland Vol.
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Glass Bedding

Hi All, Need help in glass bedding, not sure how to do it with out messing up. Is there any help out there? Two band Enfield.
    john

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Use acraglas kit. Don't get the Acraglas liquid as it is quite loose and runny. You'll lose control of it. I always use Acraglas Gel, more control, spreads like butter. You can get it from Track of the Wolf, Brownells, MidwayUSA and others. Their directions are pretty straight forward. Get a little modeling clay or something similar to keep it out of tang screw holes, lock inlet, etc. Make sure metal is well covered with release agent. Talk to someone close by (your team, or at least region) who may have done it. It's not as hard as you might think.

Team:
    8th Texas Cavalry (Terry's Texas Rangers)
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

Bedding

I agree-Gel acraglas is the way to go, But....don't use the release agent that comes with the kit, buy the acraglass spray release aerosol , the parts literally fall out after bedding, never had a stuck job yet using this product.

P.S.-use brownells acra glass and spray release.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    For what it's worth, I glass bedded my Mississippi and all it did was change the point of impact. I will admit that I did build the rifle. I will admit that I had been taught to properly inlet a barrel so that the breech was properly supported. Results may vary

Greg

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The critical area to bed is the 2-3" at the breech and especially the barrel tang. If the barrel is really tight in the stock anywhere along it's length, fix that, but you shouldn't have to glass anything forward of the front of the lock plate as long as the stock is straight. If your stock is warped a full length bed can pull it straight (or at least straighter). The tang needs to be well supported by the stock and the bolster must be well supported by the lock plate. A quick test of your bedding is to drop the barrel into the stock. Without installing the bands tighten the tang screw. If the muzzle lifts out of the barrel channel, you have a bedding problem. On Enfields, band tightness can have an effect too. Take plenty of ammo to the range and shoot groups with the bands loose, sort of loose and tight. See what your particular rifle likes.
    Last edited by Carolina Reb; 03-08-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I've full-length glass bedded two PH rifles with excellent results, following the info in reply #3 from this post:

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/showthread.php/3406-Glass-Beding-Info?highlight=glass+beding
    Last edited by Smosin; 03-09-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    I have used the Acraglas as well(green box Gel). I always get nervous that I won't get the parts to release and take things apart as soon as the instructions indicate its time and I have never had a problem. I have also used hair spray as a release agent on the wood just in case I get sloppy and that also works.

I think I have done 5 muskets. I make sure to glass up to the middle barrel band. I want my rear and middle band tight and the forward one loose. If the remaining stock pulled or pushed rather than "float" the barrel, I'd glass up further. If the wood is pushing the barrel it will change the way it does so with humidity. I also don't grab the stock in front of the middle band, if I did I might glass up to where I hold.

Good points have already been made about the tang and breech area. I also glass in the tang screw, backing that bugger out is step one after cure. Don't spare the release on the tang screw.