Thread: Palmetto musket- is it the real thing

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Rob Harrison - This topic has been covered on the BB several times over the years, but I don't mind revisiting it for our newer members and other followers. Replacing the questionable barrel with an N-SSA Approved Barrel is certainly a viable option....IF....the musket meets the dimensional and other requirements of the N-SSA's Small Arms Committee. Many people have talked about doing this very thing, but to date no one has yet to provide a sample of the Indian manufactured Palmetto Musket to see if the basic musket meets the requirements.

John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Staff Officer
    Might be an interesting exercise one day to see if it would pass.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Rob - If someone can ever borrow one to take to Small Arms the SAC will be more than happy to run it through an inspection!

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Rob - If someone can ever borrow one to take to Small Arms the SAC will be more than happy to run it through an inspection!
    John later this summer I might just undertake this endeavor (I need a muzzle loading smoothbore/shotgun for the NRA certification courses we are teaching). Since I am not worried about using it for competition once I get it completed (safety is the only real concern) then I might do a before and after type of inspection process if after the first look it is viable to continue towards making it an approved shooter.

Who knows? For the guys looking to build Macon's it might present a more affordable alternative to getting a 42 cut down since the last time I priced a new 42 for this course it was egregiously expensive after all would be said and done.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I forgot about this thing for awhile. I took it apart tonight and found this India stamp on the bottom of the barrel so it's definitely not the real thing. Are these worth anything at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by td9323 View Post
    I forgot about this thing for awhile. I took it apart tonight and found this India stamp on the bottom of the barrel so it's definitely not the real thing. Are these worth anything at all?
    Value wise, a couple hundred (probably between $400-500). The thing is, they're hit or miss in terms of quality, but the finishing details are lacking. They usually don't look right.

In terms of who'd use it- not the N-SSA or most reenacting organizations. I've heard that the Rev War crowd accepts them if they're proofed by a gunsmith. But please don't quote me on that.

My brother and I have made it a rule to never purchase nor resell one of these. Too much liability.

On the flip side, a Marine Gunny tested the barrel strength (mortar tube testing thing) and found his Indian barrel to be stronger than an Italian made reproductions. Maybe his was the exception and not the rule.
    Last edited by MarkTK36thIL; 05-21-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    Mark Krausz
    Co. B 36th Illinois Inf.
    Agent Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Liner

In my defense, suggesting a Hoyt liner was recommended merely as an option to making the barrel certainly safe to shoot. I did not infer that it would pass N-SSA inspection.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fox View Post
    In my defense, suggesting a Hoyt liner was recommended merely as an option to making the barrel certainly safe to shoot. I did not infer that it would pass N-SSA inspection.
    That would be really interesting to see the end result, if it could pass SAC approval. I think it'd be a cost/reward decision.
    Mark Krausz
    Co. B 36th Illinois Inf.
    Agent Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods