Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Powder coated mini balls

Standing on the ROCK sheilded by the LIGHT
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorJack View Post
    Let's put the powder coat thing to rest. It will NOT help with fouling. That's a function of lube and type/grade of powder. IIRC, it's against N-SSA rules to use powder coated bullets. I was experimenting with my Smith just for grins. I saw no change in fouling in any gun I tried this in be it musket or carbine. I have shot them in guns with smokeless and yes, they are good for that but you also still have to lube and size the bullets.
    Rules against use of powder coated bullets in N-SSA. But there are guys using them. What am I missing?
    14th VA Cav.
    " No man has ever been shot in the back doing dishes"

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Naturally there would be no benefit to black powder fouling, but there would almost certainly be protection against leading.

I thought powder coating was allowed? I scanned through the rules but didn't find anything.

Steve
    Funny you say that when it was approved under the guise of being a lube. From the January 2019 BOD minutes:

?Inspector Shaw stated that at the August 2018 Board meeting an issue came up in question about powder coating projectiles. The decision to allow powder coating was defeated. The Board has never ruled which type or brand of lube could be used or the method of applying any lube to the projectile in use. Wayne Shaw moved to rescind the previous action taken at the August 2018 Board meeting regarding powder coating. Motion passed?
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Thanks Paul, I thought I remembered something about it.

Wayne Shaw moved to rescind the previous action taken at the August 2018 Board meeting regarding powder coating. Motion passed?
    So what was the previous action taken that was reversed? I'm not clear - is powder coating currently allowed being considered a "lube"? I think it was originally banned, and now allowed, is that right?

Steve
    Last edited by Maillemaker; 04-18-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Thanks Paul, I thought I remembered something about it.

So what was the previous action taken that was reversed? I'm not clear - is powder coating currently allowed being considered a "lube"? I think it was originally banned, and now allowed, is that right?

Steve
    The motion to allow use was not approved at the Aug. 2018 BOD meeting. At the January 2019 meeting it was argued that it?s a ?lube? and the rules never dictated types or brands of lube allowed therefor it should be allowed. Previous action of not approving was reversed. There is nothing specific in the rules for powder coatings because it?s just a ?lube? or so it was argued.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Thanks Paul. That is what had jangled around in my addled brain.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    The motion to allow use was not approved at the Aug. 2018 BOD meeting. At the January 2019 meeting it was argued that it?s a ?lube? and the rules never dictated types or brands of lube allowed therefor it should be allowed. Previous action of not approving was reversed. There is nothing specific in the rules for powder coatings because it?s just a ?lube? or so it was argued.
    To my mind, there's no way it's a lube. I'd think of it as a coating or "plating". Regardless, I experimented a bit with it and results were mixed at best. It didn't improve groups enough for me to even consider going forward in any way with it nor did it help in fouling. I've found fouling control to be more a function of type of powder, charge level, bullet weight, and type of actual lube. Light bullets with a powder like regular Goex or Schuetzen will have more fouling and require a different lube than a heavier bullet with Old E or Swiss. My thought is a heavier bullet will aid in a more complete combustion of the charge leaving less residue (fouling). So if powder coating has been ruled ok by the poobahs, well then ok, but I'm not going to waste much time with it as I saw little to no benefit. Time, powder and lead are better spent getting the load tuned and practicing.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor