Thread: Powder coated mini balls

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Schultz, 10057 View Post
    PoorJack
    Did you ever find out how long you can fire a musket using a coated mini-ball before the musket gets fowled out and you are not able to reload it? Or does in never get fowled?
    I experimented with coating minies to see if there was an effect on accuracy. My current load with the Rapine Trashcan can shoot one hole groups at 50yds. For the initial experiment, I coated a number of the types I have to see if there was any change in accuracy. The results weren't encouraging with minies.

Musket fouling- I'll say this, if your musket fouls out, something is very, very wrong with your load. It might be accurate for 10 shots, but if the Scout project did anything for me personally, it drove home the point that a properly developed and balanced load can be shot until you run out of ammo, time or shoulder without appreciable loss of accuracy. On one gun I counted over 50 shots straight and with the last ones the kid was cutting the chains on the gong at 50yds with the musket. So, many have their favorite lubes, but to me, if the accuracy isn't there or it fouls out after 10 or so shots, it's not the right lube. Once I find a good accurate load, the next step of the development process is to see how long it can shoot before fouling out.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibgreen View Post
    I played around with powder coating for my Spencer rifle. I found the process to powder coat was a pain in the rear. I also unfortunately used harbor freight yellow that apparently is the worst powder to use. I saw no improvement over lubed lead. I would surmise that the inability of powder coating to soften BP residue to be counterproductive to use in NSSA.
    In the centerfire world, HF yellow is widely known to be inadequate. The idea with black powder is NOT to soften fouling, it just won't do it. I was looking to see if that extra couple thousands on the bullet would make a change in accuracy or if a load was prone to occasional flyers, to reduce that tendency. Loads that were accurate will get further investigation.

FWIW- I "social distanced" at the range yesterday with some more coated Smith ammo. I tweaked the load that had that interesting vertical string and got some decent results. Pix will be posted later.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Ok, here's the second test with powder coated bullets in my Smith. Group is somewhat better. Same 385 Rapine but only change was seating depth. Group became more circular. Fouling wasn't changed much but that wasn't the object. My Rapine mold drops at .518 and my barrel is .518 and so far with normal cast bullets, groups can be erratic. Sometimes it'll shoot bugholes, other times, much larger than this. The bullet with the powder coat is about .521. So I'm thinking the bullet must be about 3thou over barrel size, which I think is the solution, or use powder coat to make up that size. In addition, the only change from the first test in this experiment between the first pic and this one is seating depth.
    Name:  IMG_20200321_163957.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  630.4 KB
    Rudyard Kipling

Standing on the ROCK sheilded by the LIGHT
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

powder coat sharps & 44-40 Henry

Any testing on Sharps and the Henry W/ powder coat? With Powder coating would it matter if you used hard lead or pure Lead? both, Powder coating would make for a harder surface.
    14th VA Cav.
    " No man has ever been shot in the back doing dishes"

Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I shoot coated bullets out of my 1873 for Cowboy all the time and they work great but I am using smokeless not Black powder. I don't know if N-SSA will allow them in the Lever action rifle category.
    Last edited by Terry Schultz, 10057; 04-07-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Terry,
    9th NYVC Reenactment regiment
    Home of the Accu-Timer 3

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    CW

I believe Glenn experimented with powder coat for his henry rounds. He is on FB
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Standing on the ROCK sheilded by the LIGHT
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    CW

I believe Glenn experimented with powder coat for his henry rounds. He is on FB
    Yeaw talked to Glenn Last season. Don't remember if hard or soft he was using w the henry. I do know they must be lubed.
    I don't Do FB anymore.
    May see you at Springtown?? We are moving to my place upstate by beginning of July, so it no drought be or last trip to Springtown for awhile.
    14th VA Cav.
    " No man has ever been shot in the back doing dishes"

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    All three Springtown skirmishes conflict with New England Skirmishes. Wish we could do something about that.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Let's put the powder coat thing to rest. It will NOT help with fouling. That's a function of lube and type/grade of powder. IIRC, it's against N-SSA rules to use powder coated bullets. I was experimenting with my Smith just for grins. I saw no change in fouling in any gun I tried this in be it musket or carbine. I have shot them in guns with smokeless and yes, they are good for that but you also still have to lube and size the bullets.
    Rudyard Kipling

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Let's put the powder coat thing to rest. It will NOT help with fouling. That's a function of lube and type/grade of powder. IIRC, it's against N-SSA rules to use powder coated bullets. I was experimenting with my Smith just for grins. I saw no change in fouling in any gun I tried this in be it musket or carbine. I have shot them in guns with smokeless and yes, they are good for that but you also still have to lube and size the bullets.
    Naturally there would be no benefit to black powder fouling, but there would almost certainly be protection against leading.

I thought powder coating was allowed? I scanned through the rules but didn't find anything.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor