Thread: Smith Carbine ?'s

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Smith Carbine ?'s

Just recently discovered the Smith Carbine (along with a refresh history lesson!) and have officially taken possession of a Pietta / Navy Arms reproduction S.N. 2863. Hoping someone will be able to tell me if there is a way to tell what year of mfg.? Trying to learn as much as possible about loading, shooting, and cleaning as well as if there are any guidelines that must be followed to shoot in a skirmish match?

This question seems to be a simple one, but I can not find an answer. It looks like these carbines take a musket cap/top cap. Can I use a #11 percussion cap to fire? The nipple thats on there seems to fit the #11 just fine.

Regarding skirmish shoots. Can I use a 209 conversion nipple? Also I have found what appears to be an aperture for the front leaf sight, would this be permitted?

The carbine came with some pure lead cast bullets from a Lyman mold, and both brass and plastic cartridges to shoot. I have a surplus of FF powder, so will start with that and see how it does.

Anything I should do / check before I take it out and shoot?

Thanks, Kevin

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    This question seems to be a simple one, but I can not find an answer. It looks like these carbines take a musket cap/top cap. Can I use a #11 percussion cap to fire? The nipple thats on there seems to fit the #11 just fine.

Regarding skirmish shoots. Can I use a 209 conversion nipple? Also I have found what appears to be an aperture for the front leaf sight, would this be permitted?

Thanks, Kevin
    I'd put a musket nipple on it as that was original equipment. You really, really don't want to be fumbling with a #11 with the clock running. Sounds like somebody changed it out.

AFAIK, the 209 is not legal for competition.

Aperture rear leaf is OK.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I use 2f. I run in the 30 seconds range time wise. Most use 3f, but you have to play around and see what the gun likes. For me that is 31 gr of 2f.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I use 30 grains of Swiss 1.5F plus 0.5cc of cream of wheat as a filler. I seat the Lee .318 Smith bullet on top until it JUST hits the COW. I carefully close the action letting the action do the final seating of the bullet

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    As far as age of your Smith, Italian firearms manufacturers use a date code stamped on your barrel. Look for a small square box with a 2 digit alpha code. Do a google search for Italin Firearms Date Codes and you'll get a dandy chart that you should save for future use.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Date code look up suggests 1996, I actually thought it may be newer than this, but Seller said he was second owner and suggested less than 50 rnds down barrel.
    I believe the nipple is original and #11 caps just happen to go on, I didn't fire any though. Found I could get musket caps delivered to Bass Pro no hazmat fee. Cost a little more for only 100, but that will get me shooting until other provisions can be made.

I thought this was odd...the end of the barrel is not blued or crowned. Can anyone confirm this is how Pietta mfg. them? Hoping to slug barrel today.

Name:  Smith.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  23.5 KB

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    DeadWoodDan - The muzzle of your Smith has been reworked, or rather "re-crowned". This is because the factory finished muzzle is rounded and blued. Yours has been turned flat, with the bore edge slightly broken. That is aftermarket crowning, and yours appears to have been very well done. Just my opinion from what I see in your photo.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Eras Gone Bullet Molds sells a reproduction Smith bullet.

I don't have a Smith so I have never tried it.

Disclaimer: I do the CAD work for Eras Gone.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Got a chance to measure my slug today....and I was very surprised. My groove diameter measured 0.518"/0.506". I used a vise and smashed a .490 round ball down some then drove it down from muzzle end first. Used a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) to verify this 3 groove barrel. Did a little research and found this may not be that unheard of with the Pietta's. Regardless I'm going to try a boolit that was with this rifle and see what it tells me.
    Last edited by DeadWoodDan; 02-15-2020 at 08:41 PM.