Thread: Where to begin

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Where to begin

Guess I'm a total newbie, only accidentally discovered this organization after my Uncle asked me to find him a Smith Carbine. Was just a coincidence that we found one locally from a member on this forum, but don't believe he has ever Skirmished. Fast forward and I was also offered a sale on a repo Smith with components, I couldn't pass it up. Today my Pietta Smith Carbine arrived with everything needed, but powder. I have lots to learn but thought and hope some day to possibly not only attend but also participate. So my journey begins......

Reside in central IL, so will be looking to join possibly or at least learn what the NSSA is about. Any good links or reads will be appreciated as I am just learning my way around this board and will also have questions about shooting the Smith.

Thanks,
    DWD

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Go to the home page and click on "ABOUT"
    Select "REGIONS"
    Depending on where in Illinois you're at, you would be in either the Western, Midwest, or Northwest region. I think all three regions have contact info on their main web page
    Chris Sweeney
    Commander, 44th NYVI

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    Guess I'm a total newbie, only accidentally discovered this organization after my Uncle asked me to find him a Smith Carbine. Was just a coincidence that we found one locally from a member on this forum, but don't believe he has ever Skirmished. Fast forward and I was also offered a sale on a repo Smith with components, I couldn't pass it up. Today my Pietta Smith Carbine arrived with everything needed, but powder. I have lots to learn but thought and hope some day to possibly not only attend but also participate. So my journey begins......

Reside in central IL, so will be looking to join possibly or at least learn what the NSSA is about. Any good links or reads will be appreciated as I am just learning my way around this board and will also have questions about shooting the Smith.

Thanks,
    DWD
    Dan, I just sent you a private message with my email address...email me and I can help you find a team and contact close to you

Rob
    R. Harrison
    Commander
    48th Virginia Infantry
    www.facebook.com/48thVa
    NRA Certified Muzzle Loading Instructor
    PSALMS 144 1-9

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Hi Dan!

Be sure to check out the N-SSA home page www.n-ssa.org.

Here are some nice videos about the N-SSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOi9etvUlaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1qho8DLuw

As you've probably gathered, the North-South Skirmish Association is a competition shooting organization that focuses on the time period of the American Civil War. We shoot revolvers, single-shot pistols, smoothbore muskets, rifle muskets, carbines, and repeaters. There are also mortar and artillery competitions at some events.

Competition is broken up into two categories: Individual and Team.

For individuals, you shoot at a paper target for score. All the entries are gathered up and the highest scorers earn medals. The number of places paid depends on the event.

For team events, you shoot any particular class of firearm on a team. Team events use breakable targets, and you have a fixed amount of time to try and break them all. At the end the teams with the best times win medals.

We wear uniforms while competing but the focus is not on the clothing, so "sutler row" or "mainstream" level clothing is usually fine (individual teams may have different requirements).

Rifled long arms are shot at 50 and 100 yards. Smoothbores and Revolvers are shot at 25 and 50 yards. Everything is shot off-hand. Revolvers are shot single-handed.

You only need one gun to get started.

It's a blast!

Steve
    Steve Sheldon
    Commander
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    Facebook
    Team Web Site
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I didn't realize this was such a popular forum with that fast of response.
    Looks like I'm the Western region.
    I also found last year was a shoot in my back yard at Sandy Ford Sportsman club. No that I'm remembering a few things, when my son was a junior shooter for that club we put up a concession stand and I am almost positive it was for a skirmish. Reason being guys were camping in that era of tents, wearing uniforms and the kids got to shoot some of the rifles. WOW it was many yrs ago, but remember it clear as day.
    Last edited by DeadWoodDan; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:18 PM.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    There are a wide range of teams and as with any social groups, a range of focus. Some are strictly competition oriented. Some blend fun with competition. Some just shoot for the fun. Find one you like and have a ball!

I will warn you though, this is very addictive. You'll also find that you can mow pigeons down in practice but let that horn sound at a skirmish and they shrink, take evasive action and turn on bullet proof force fields.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

dave.miller@MuzzleLoadingYouthTraining.org
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Co. A
    Region:

Joining

Dan, Sent you a PM.

Kevin, 46th Illinois