Thread: Another weekend of recruiting: Huntsville Alabama Gun Show

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Another weekend of recruiting: Huntsville Alabama Gun Show

The 4th Louisiana spent another weekend recruiting. Mark and I manned a table at the Huntsville Alabama Gun Show on Saturday and Sunday. I got a page full of sign-ups for "interest", and handed out perhaps 100 business cards and fliers.

My hope was by going to a traditional gun show rather than a Civil War show was that we might encounter younger folks interested in the run-and-gun scene, like IDPA and IPSC and such. I made a special point to shout out to anyone who walked by who did not have grey hair!

More than once I heard, "I have never heard of ya'll." This is important information because lack of knowledge is a more critical problem than apathy - no one can join if they don't know you exist. I feel like national-level advertising is needed. We should have advertisements in every major shooting magazine and in the NRA's monthly publications.

We also made a point to have both a Union and a Confederate impression. Even though all Deep South teams are currently Confederate, I feel like it's important in today's political climate to present to the public in as neutral a manner as possible.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Recruiting for the N-SSA

Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    The 4th Louisiana spent another weekend recruiting. Mark and I manned a table at the Huntsville Alabama Gun Show on Saturday and Sunday. I got a page full of sign-ups for "interest", and handed out perhaps 100 business cards and fliers.

My hope was by going to a traditional gun show rather than a Civil War show was that we might encounter younger folks interested in the run-and-gun scene, like IDPA and IPSC and such. I made a special point to shout out to anyone who walked by who did not have grey hair!

More than once I heard, "I have never heard of ya'll." This is important information because lack of knowledge is a more critical problem than apathy - no one can join if they don't know you exist. I feel like national-level advertising is needed. We should have advertisements in every major shooting magazine and in the NRA's monthly publications.

We also made a point to have both a Union and a Confederate impression. Even though all Deep South teams are currently Confederate, I feel like it's important in today's political climate to present to the public in as neutral a manner as possible.

Grassroots recruiting efforts like yours are to be applauded and what we need to expand, and address the attrition of, the membership. I'd like to point out that we do considerable advertising already. We don't advertise in the NRA magazine due to the expense. It's incredibly expensive to put an ad in the NRA Rifleman or other publications. Currently we spend around $10K on advertising in Civil War related publications. We just don't have the funds to expand much beyond that.
    I have also heard frequently "never heard of you all". Even from some of the Civil War focused publications. Kudos to Bruce Miller, our PIO and member of the Marketing Committee who has been able to get the Association considerable publicity in local newspapers, magazines, and TV. It takes time, effort, and money. All grassroots and local efforts are extremely valuable in our efforts as well. We all need to do our part in recruiting and marketing. There aren't enough of us focused on that right now.
    We currently need a new Recruiting Chair, so far no one has stepped forward. If you are interested, contact Dave Booz or Melinda Shaw.

Chris De Francisci
    Chair, Marketing Committee

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Good job Steve! Make sure the leads get followed up on promptly. We need to grow the N-SSA in the Deep South!
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

dave.miller@MuzzleLoadingYouthTraining.org
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Steve......... it?s not good to mention the NRA and N-SSA at the same time nor make any connection between them.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    We don't advertise in the NRA magazine due to the expense. It's incredibly expensive to put an ad in the NRA Rifleman or other publications.
    Has anyone spoken to them about cutting us a deal as a 501c3 nonprofit?

I've been trying to get in touch with them about getting listed in their NRA Online Regional Report section of their web site, but just got a reply that it would be forwarded to someone and got no response after that.

We currently need a new Recruiting Chair, so far no one has stepped forward. If you are interested, contact Dave Booz or Melinda Shaw.
    I wouldn't mind stepping up to do it, but I imagine it requires attending a lot of Nationals. I only go to every 3rd one.

Rob Harrison should go for it!

Steve
    4th Louisiana Delta Rifles
    NRA Certified Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Has anyone spoken to them about cutting us a deal as a 501c3 nonprofit?

I've been trying to get in touch with them about getting listed in their NRA Online Regional Report section of their web site, but just got a reply that it would be forwarded to someone and got no response after that.

I wouldn't mind stepping up to do it, but I imagine it requires attending a lot of Nationals. I only go to every 3rd one.

Rob Harrison should go for it!

Steve
    Sorry guys I am not interested. I would rather actually be the boots on the ground and do it than direct others at it.

Someone else said to me (from another unit) at a recruiting event "You're building quite the team."
    I replied, "I'm not building a team." They looked at me like I grew a third eye in my forehead.
    Then I went on "I'm building a Culture. There's a difference."

If others wish to know how we do it on my team then all they need do is ask and we are usually very happy to help and advise no matter what color uniform they wish to wear.

Besides there's no big secret or trick to it you just have to get off the recliner and do it like you are doing Steve.
    If people in the N-SSA would actually look, the opportunities for recruiting abound. You just have to grab the bull by the horns and do it.
    Just understand what you're offering won't appeal to the masses in general but you have to keep going and digging to reach the few that it will and hopefully they will then take and run with it too.

What Steve is doing is not only admirable it should be emulated throughout the N-SSA. EVERY region needs to have about 20 more like you Steve.
    Remember, follow up, follow up, follow up.

Outstanding work!

Rob
    R. Harrison
    Commander
    48th Virginia Infantry
    www.facebook.com/48thVa
    NRA Certified Muzzle Loading Instructor
    PSALMS 144 1-9

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Great to see recruiting going on for the N-SSA and Deep South Region! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

The N-SSA needs a much better presence on YouTube (perhaps a N-SSA channel). For example there needs to be made some 30 minute programs on the following subjects:

1. Researching the history of an original Civil War regiment. (Books by veterans, National Archives records, uniforms, etc.) Also giving a list of suppliers of Sutlers for "N-SSA Approved" arms, leather gear, uniforms, etc.

2. HOW TO RECRUIT FOR A NEW N-SSA UNIT.

3. Filing paperwork for a new unit with the N-SSA, Inspection at the Nationals, etc.,

5. How to "Accurize" and shoot a Revolver in N-SSA Individual and Team Competition.

6. How to "Accurize" and shoot a Rifle or Rifle-Musket in Individual Team Competition

7. How to "Accurize" and shoot a Smith, Sharps Carbines, etc., in N-SSA Individual and Team Competition.

8. How to safely cast lead bullets for Revolvers, Carbines, and Rifle-Muskets.

9. How to organize an Artillery unit, list of suppliers of replica artillery pieces, casting or making artillery projectiles for N-SSA Artillery (including mortars) Competition.

10. 30 minute interviews with National winning N-SSA units (Revolver, Carbine and Musket (Smoothbore and Rifled) Teams, Artillery teams, etc. Also, interviews with National Individual Skirmishers.

11. Various "strategies" a team can use when shooting the "Clayboard Event ("Typewriter strategy" vs assigning each team member a vertical row of pigeons, hanging pots event, etc.

12. A program on the various things to do at a Nationals like visiting Sutlers Row, the Barn Dance, camping vs staying at a nearby motel. etc.,

Also, video reports released periodically on both National and Regional Skirmishes.

So, basically I am advocating the BOD establish a "Publicity and Information Committee" to oversee these video productions as I am sure we have willing Skirmishers in the ranks of the N-SSA that have the talent and drive to produce and make the above mentioned videos for a N-SSA Channel.

Obviously with the volunteer help of Skirmishers, these productions can be made without much expense to the N-SSA
    and unlike previous short productions on the N-SSA that give the public only a shallow view of the N-SSA, the production and posting of the above mentioned videos, will result, "in effect" the establishment of a "N-SSA Channel" on YouTube that will give an "in depth" look at the N-SSA, these will be an excellent recruiting tool.

Dare I say it? We already have Skirmishers with the technical skills that are making and posting videos on YouTube.

The "genius" of Skirmishing is that it has many different facets that appeal to various individuals (history, competitive shooting, leadership, etc.) So, that is another reason we need the above mentioned videos on YouTube.

Lets face it, YouTube is the future of the "information Superhighway" So, the N-SSA needs a much larger presence on it.