Thread: Approved models of Brown Bess?

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Approved models of Brown Bess?

I always wanted a Brown Bess. I know they are skirmish legal in principle. I would never shoot one in team competition due to speed issues, but would love to shoot a flinter in individuals now and then.

Thing is, there are about as many models of Brown Bess out there as there are types of Mausers!

Curious, which model(s) are N-SSA legal, as having seen use with at least 100 examples issued?

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    No Brown Bess Musket has ever been submitted o the N-SSA for "Production Approval" by any of the Manufacturers. However, a small number of reproductions have been given "Individual Approval" by the Small Arms Committee. The Brown Bess models that have been allowed are of the "Long & Short Land Pattern" types. For ease of explanation, and as I recall, they have been:

1 - Pedersoli Brown Bess (Currently available, with some having been marketed by Navy Arms)
    2 - Dixie Gun Works Brown Bess, as made by Miroku. (No longer in production. For some unknown reason they were made without sling swivels, which are required)
    3 - Track of the Wolf Long Land Pattern (These are Kit builds with American made Colerain barrels, and are currently available)
    4 - Coach & Harness Long Land Pattern (This was a limited production made in England, and are no longer produced)

NB - None of the Brown Bess muskets made in India will be approved. This is because the barrels are of an unknown quality, at best. For whatever reason, there have been a number of catastrophic failures of these muskets in the re-enacting world. If you go to the manufacturer's website in india, they are very specific about designating these muskets as being for "Decoration Purposes Only."

Also, I would encourage anyone who desires to use a flint lock arm in the N-SSA's Competitive Matches to first familiarize yourself with the N-SSA's "Flint Lock Rules", which apply to all flint lock arms including the smooth bore pistols.

Sincerely,
    John Holland
    N-SSA Small Arms Staff Officer

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Interesting. I didn't think any flintlock arms were allowed. I have a Miroku Charleville that is giving me ideas.
    Mark Hubbs,

Eras Gone Bullet Molds www.erasgonebullets.com

Visit my history/archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    There are N-SSA Rules written specifically for the use of Flint Lock arms in the N-SSA.

If you have a desire to use your Flint Lock Miroku Charleville in the N-SSA you are required to get a SAC Individual Approval Card for it.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    According to the memoirs of a captured Yankee, the soldiers of one of the Confederate regiments that was assigned to
    guard them at Andersonville were armed with "Queen Ann muskets converted to percussion."

So, presumably one could have a Brown Bess converted to percussion and get it "Approved" by the SAC?

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Southron Sr. View Post
    According to the memoirs of a captured Yankee, the soldiers of one of the Confederate regiments that was assigned to
    guard them at Andersonville were armed with "Queen Ann muskets converted to percussion."

So, presumably one could have a Brown Bess converted to percussion and get it "Approved" by the SAC?
    If there is documentation that at least 100 examples of a Brown Bess that was percussion converted were issued, then yes. I would imagine that the SAC committee would want to see said documentation. Same with the Charleville and so on; it had to be issued to at least 100 troops to be N-SSA legal.

I knew the Bess was as there are production approval replicas out there and/or parts thereof listed in the approved lists. Others I know would be legal offhand would include various US flintlocks like the 1803, 1816, etc.

It would be cool if the SAC would put out a list of all arms known to have been issued to 100 troops so far as they are aware, beyond the obvious ones. Maybe a list of all their spec sheet types, even if the spec sheets themselves aren't all available online.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Did they have to be "Issued"? It is my understanding that other arms only had to have 100 "Purchased" and could never have been "Issued" and would still be eligible to shoot in N-SSA. I realize conversions could pose a different scenario if they were converted by the government rather than being purchased from some entity as a conversion, in that there would be no purchase records for the converted arm. However, in this case, I would think the N-SSA would accept records of conversion of existing arms and not require record showing they were issued. But of course, that is just my opinion.