Thread: For Sale: Davidson style side scope mount and rings for Whitworth rifle

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

For Sale: Davidson style side scope mount and rings for Whitworth rifle

More items from the collection for Whitworth, Volunteer, or Enfield. I bought this kit to side mount a scope on my Whitworth or Volunteer but after an accident that left me partially paralyzed with a broken neck and back all of the cool stuff didn't seem as important anymore. It's time to pass these on to someone that might me interested. The kits were manufactured by a member of the old LRML group. This kit will give you everything you need to side mount a scope on your Whitworth, Volunteer, or 2-3 band Enfield. I will include the 2 Weaver scopes with the sale of the mount kit and rings. I'm asking $450 shipped and fully insured in the lower 48. I can do discreet Paypal or a US Postal Service Money Order. If need more information or photos let me know badgerfarm2@gmail.com Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    This is a reply that I received from David Minshall at research Press concerning the Davidson Whitworth scope mounts:

Randall,

Those mounts were expensive when available and are likely near impossible to find now. They'd be a splendid thing to have and see set up with a suitable scope. I am working on a Whitworth book with US publisher Tom Rowe and we have access to Bill Curtis and De Witt Bailey research. I have discovered much new material - difficult thing is cutting it down to what will be of real interest to collectors/shooters.

Best wishes,

David

He is correct. They were insanely expensive when I bought them many years ago, quite a bit more than what I'm asking for them now. They were available from a member of the LRML Group on Yahoo that copied them from an original Whitworth. I don't think that he sold many of them because of the cost but they are a very rare accessory now. The 2 weaver scopes that are included have no real value but are a close resemblance of the original Davidson scopes that were available at the time. I am including them with the mounts just as a bonus and for an installation guide for anyone that wanted to have a side scoped Whitworth, Volunteer, or Enfield musket.

I value David's opinion on anything Whitworth and I'm looking forward to his upcoming book that he is working on.

The scope mount is designed to be removable from the rifle by loosening the thumb screw on the right side of the stock and removing the through bolt. You then rotate the scope 90 degrees and it detaches for transport or when you might want to shoot without the scope mounted.

The price for the mounts is with or without the Weaver scopes. They are worth a great deal more than what I'm asking for them due to the rarity of the mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Randall; 01-26-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    The scope mounts and scopes are sold pending funds. Thank you John.