Thread: Passing of John Shank (former 110th OVI)

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Passing of John Shank (former 110th OVI)

Hello all. I wanted to let folks know that my father John Shank passed away on December 31st. He was active in the N-SSA from the early 70s through the late 90s. He was first with the 44th OVI and then the majority of his time was with the 110th OVI. He truly loved the N-SSA and I enjoyed growing up and attending many skirmishes and nationals. I've been assembling funny stories/positive stories people have sent me so I have something more to give to his grandchildren. I would love if anyone knew or remembered him to respond with a short memory. Thank you all.

-Jared Shank

Region:
    Yup. I remember your dad well, Jared. Shot against him many times. He was pleasant company, and was an all-around good guy. Thanks for posting this, because I hadn't heard of his passing. I am sorry for your loss.

John Robey
    Union Guards

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:

John Shank

Jarrod, Your dad was one of my favorite team members when I joined the 110th back in 1981. I have attached two photos (hope you can see them, I'm not very good at posting). The first is a photo of your dad and Walter Ruch at the Greenfield Village skirmish in June 1982. The second photo is the entire Shank family at the Winterfest held at the Kings Island theme park in December 1985. Two memories stick out when I think of your dad. The first was a trip we made to Briarfield, Alabama for a Deep South Skirmish in 1986. We won the musket match, and instead of medals, we received a baseball style cap and a 6 pack of Dixie Beer. Man, your dad was disappointed as he really wanted a medal from the Deep South Region. I on the other hand was pretty pleased with the beer. The second memory had to do with you and your siblings. I still vividly see you and the other two sitting behind the firing line as little kids lined up in little folding chairs. Your dad was shooting the musket match and told you guys not to move. Surprisingly, you kids didn't move a muscle. I was amazed at how well behaved the three of you were. I was very sad when health issues forced your dad to give up skirmishing and even sadder to hear of his passing. He will be missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry Smith
    110th OVI