Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Push For Rule Change of Electricity Use at Fort

Team:
    56th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    7463V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Push For Rule Change of Electricity Use at Fort

I hear there is a call for a rule change to allow members to hook up with the electric located at the bathrooms (Lady Side) at the fort. In looking at this topic there are many questions I see that would not be fair for most of the members of the NSSA and many safety dangerous issues that have not been looked at.

To start off the bathroom electric system only have a 2 socket system mounted on the Ladies side of the building. Since I have been a member the rule was, The ladies had it for when the needed a hair dryer, Electric razor or anything else for their personal need. With that said I would assume the system is wired for a low usage system with power to cover lighting and minor plug system. With speaking about the system just think of the miles of wire we would need to upgrade the power with new heavier gauge wire and control fuse boxes need to cover the over loading of the system and not to say who would be reset the blown system due to over usage?

The bathrooms are located in stages areas that are somewhat close to camp sights. But some camp area could be as far as 1000 feet from the closes door.
    Just think if this rule would be changed and we could hook up, What distance is safe of using extension cord (what wire grade) before we stress the system and blow fuses?

Safety issues come to mind like cord coming out the door causing a tripping issue for ladies going to their bathrooms. Front doors to the bathroom not being able to close all the way due to the cord coming out the same area. Cords crossing the roads (For those camp sights across the road) where cars and people walking on the cords causing fraying of the cord cover maybe exposing raw live wires on the ground and maybe in water. Has that been thought about? The tripping hazard if the lines were not lying flat on the road. And if/when someone gets hurt or dies due to these topics I Question, Who will be responsible? Is it the teams using the power or is it the nationals who allowed those to use the power box?

Other questions come up; Who has first choice to the plug? With many camp sights who might want to use the power if they get there first and plug in and with the box only having 2 sockets, with a time limit of 2 hours with every plug, Who will check the time so everyone complies with the rules? What restriction usage rules should be set so people are not using the AC, Table saws, or any thing that requires high watt usage.

Not to even forget "Who is going to pay the power bill at the end of the year"? With extra usage of the power system will create a higher Power bill at the end of the year. Is the treasury of the NSSA that sound? If so why are we asking our members to donate to the NSSA?

When I go to the range I bring my generator to power all my needs for the time spent. Even any small equipment needed to be charges or recharged could be powered with adapt units which can be bought at Walmart or other department stores.

In my eyes this topic should be dropped at the national level. There are a lot of questions and adding it up I ask, with a change of this rule, Will it benefit ALL THE TEAMS OF THE NSSA or will it benefit only some?

The reason I am bringing this up is I feel this topis will not benefit all the nssa members and the safety issues the costs and responsibilities do not cover the reason to change the rule.
    OK I opened the door but when you post your comments just don't be negative. Give you reasons in a positive way. If you feel different that is good but please show the benefits to the change so all teams can enjoy the rule change.

Thank you.

Pat McGinness 7463V
    13 NJ.

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Pat

I agree with you.
    It is just not safe to have extension cord pluged up in the bathroom and run away from the building.
    Even dry weather the area around the bathrooms are wet due to water hose connection and people washing down hands outside or washing gear.

It is not safe to have the cord crossing the road with all the traffic.running it over it and people walking on or over it around standing water.
    Just a matter of time, someone wil get zapped and the NSSA will pay for it.
    Also people will try to run AC or heater maybe camp lights and pop the breaker at 10pm. Who is going to be the one that is task with resetting the breaker.

With all the newer cars and trucks it is very easy to charge anything you want inside that.
    People need to remember we are camping. Not building a city with a power grid.
    If you need more power get a little generator or a deep cycle battery.
    You can even recharge from others in your camp. Have not last many camps that do not have solar, a generator or some type or way to recharge.

On the other side.... If this would pass I will ve the first to run a cord to my beer cooler at my camp... save me a lot of ice.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I agree that it would be potentially unsafe and not benefit all teams equally
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I have no comment until I see the A-Packet!
    Last edited by John Holland; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 AM.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    We'll see what pops out of the BoD meeting.

I can say this, using plain extension cords for a long distance isn't a good idea, especially since most people don't use one with a large enough gauge wire. For my tools on the jobsite, my cords are all 12ga and no longer than 50ft. For heavier current draw, I have a 10ga one that is 10ft. Yes size matters in current draw. Now couple that factoid with the way the electricity is set up at each "bathhouse" and the weak link is at the "bathhouse". I'd be wiring is 14ga and set up for no more than 15a.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

dave.miller@MuzzleLoadingYouthTraining.org
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I'm with John on this one.
    Jeff Kiser
    6509V
    Jeff Davis Legion

Team:
    1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    11416V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Exclamation Extension Cord

Leave the cords at home and CAMP OUT!

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Electric use at the fort!...

As a retired electrical engineer I can weigh in on this with some experience. Running electrical cords all over the place and overloading the system is a bad idea.
    And then there is the issue of the county codes, which no one seems to have thought of. And the issue of possible liability if someone gets "zapped" and.....

I think this would be opening a big bag of worms!
    Bill Shuey

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Having now had a chance to read the proposal in the A-Packet, I am of the opinion that this is a poor idea at best. The Unit/Team that is proposing this Rules change has been stopped in the past for illegally using power from the rest room near their campsite. In my opinion, all they are now trying to do is justify their previous illegal actions. One of their claims of "What are the children going to do after the batteries on their phones and electronic devices run out?" Really? All vehicles built in the past 10+ years all have the built-in ability to charge electronic devices. That makes this claim absolutely ludicrous. When I wanted additional power, I simply bought a personal generator. My logic was: If I could afford a custom built rifle, I could certainly afford a small generator. And before you ask, it is a Honda that can barely be heard beyond my camper!
    Last edited by John Holland; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:42 AM.

Region:
    Visitor
    "What are the children going to do after the batteries on their phones and electronic devices run out?"
    My I suggest doing what we did when I was a kid. Bring along a couple of board game's and play them with your kids.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come