Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia, the election, our future and SB16

Team:
    Division of Marines-CSS Virginia
    10348V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Virginia, the election, our future and SB16 and SB64

Let me begin by saying that I scanned the forum rules- if this post is not allowed then I apologize in advance but I did not see any ruling against posting politically charged posts that don't apply to the N-SSA directly.

I am far from a political expert however after November's election in Virginia there is no question that we as law abiding gun OWNERS and skirmishers are under attack. There are a total of 16 proposed bills that directly affect us as gun owners. If you have not reviewed the 16 or so proposed bills that directly affect us as gun owners please take a little time to do it here. (HB2, HB9, SB12, SB13, SB14, SB15, SB16, SB18, SB22, SB35, SB51, SB64, SB67, SB69, SB70, SB71)

I know that many of you participate in a variety of other shooting sports that will be affected by these new laws if passed. As an example, I present to you SB16.

Carefully review SB16 now commonly known as the proposed "Assault weapons ban" .

Here is a very small excerpt from the proposed bill:

From my limited understanding, law abiding citizens will become a class 6 felons overnight simply by possessing any of the firearms listed in the ban even though they were legally purchased years ago. This wording of this bill is purposefully arbitrary and largely inclusive of firearms that have been around for roughly 60 years. According to this legislation if you are found in possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds then you will also be a criminal. As you can see, this legislation will have a tremendous impact on the commonwealth if passed nevermind the thousands of dollars you would lose as an owner of these types of weapons.

There is no coincidence that failure to comply will make you a felon revoking your voting rights.

What do we need to do? We need to make some noise and be heard by our representatives. Contact everyone that represents you at the state and even federal level. Visit them, call them, email them. By any means possible, contact them and let your voice be heard regarding opposition to these proposed bills.

The VCDL has done a great job of mobilizing pro 2A law abiding citizens to speak out. Consider joining if you aren't already a member. Sign up for the VA-ALERT messaging system.

The time for our voices to be heard is running out assuming it moves through the committee as expected and will be voted on in January.

Many localities (including my own) have passed (or have proposed) becoming a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary county. While this is a great step towards sending a message to Richmond it does not grant us any shelter from newly imposed laws. This is a big misconception among many communities that are moving in this direction.

Spread the word before it's too late!

Edit: I missed the last page. Take a look at SB64 which prohibits any type of paramilitary activity. While our claim is not such, the details largely describes our organization with the exception of the end goal of civil disobedience. Could this interpretation be skewed? You be the judge.
    This DIRECTLY TARGETS US!
    Last edited by SimonRucker; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:00 PM.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Simon
    i am more concerned with the prohibition on people under 18 even touching a fire arm. This could devastate the N-SSA. According to GCA 1968 muskets et al aren?t firearms. Does avirginia acknowledge that.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Will any of the proposals affect owning a Henry?
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    henry should be fine it has a fixed magazine and is not Simi-auto. just remove the bayonet lug.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    I think one of the biggest problem will be....

People going to and from shoots in VA.

I for one don't like to travel in or around locations, pay taxs and spend money in states that dont follow the US Constitution.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    We have to see if they end up with large capacity magazine bans. Henry holds 14
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    10348V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    We have to see if they end up with large capacity magazine bans. Henry holds 14
    If you read through the full text of the bill there are some specific exclusions for firearms that do not have a detachable magazine which would include the Henry.

Additionally it outlines the requirements and exemptions for an antique or replica firearm which the Henry would presumably fall under.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Everything is considered a firearm in Virginia including antiques. If it propels anything by any method.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Read this bill when it was first proposed, and have been doing a lot of reading on it now. I also am not a lawyer but, I am a California refugee (was stationed there for 16 years while I worked for Uncle Sam). I moved out of California because of these kind of BS Draconian gun laws. With that said, the only part I saw that would directly affect NSSA is the under 18 clause. Out of state members who have a CCW could also be affected by the Magazine ban, but that is a personal thing.

The Magazine part only affects detachable magazines. Also the Henry is not affected because the first part of the clause "a Semiautomatic firearm, able to accept a detachable magazine and any of the following". They took this one straight out of the California gun laws and also the 1994 AWB.

But We as gun owners should be worried about the entire bill. The Gun Grabbers in Richmond will not stop. They sure did swing from the fences with this one, but it wont be the end. Incremental gun bans are how they got them through in California. They will try the same thing here. But we as gun owners need to stand with, and fight against these BS laws.

I am a part of many "gun communities" as far as the different weapon types. If the state tried to ban purchase or possession of more than 1Lb of black powder who here would that affect? Probably most of us, especially if you shoot artillery or mortars. But guess what, those "Assault rifle" owners would stand with us against the BS laws.

But I have already seen posts on the NSSA facebook group saying "let them AR owners fight for it, it doesnt affect me". But it does. We as "Gun Owners" should worry about ALL gun control legislation, because it WILL eventually affect us. Maybe not today, or a year from now, but it will
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002
    !2th Regiment US Regular Infantry

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Team:
    10348V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by noonanda View Post

But I have already seen posts on the NSSA facebook group saying "let them AR owners fight for it, it doesnt affect me". But it does. We as "Gun Owners" should worry about ALL gun control legislation, because it WILL eventually affect us. Maybe not today, or a year from now, but it will
    Well said Daryl