Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoyt relined Smith bore size

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Easy way to measure groove depths

It is a pretty simple process just using a dial caliper when you have a decent bore to start with and you have an ID to start with. At the end measure the thickness of the barrel at the groove. Do the same for the land, right next to the groove you previously measured. Subtract the 2 to get a groove depth. Multiply it by 2, then add your ID dimension. That number is the bullet size I would start with. This information is from a highly skilled, ex automotive senior designer.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cobb 1723V View Post
    It is a pretty simple process just using a dial caliper when you have a decent bore to start with and you have an ID to start with. At the end measure the thickness of the barrel at the groove. Do the same for the land, right next to the groove you previously measured. Subtract the 2 to get a groove depth. Multiply it by 2, then add your ID dimension. That number is the bullet size I would start with. This information is from a highly skilled, ex automotive senior designer.
    Yep done that also. Works great on good barrel.
    Just check several times at different locations to make sure the bore is centered in the barrel.
    Many euro arms or lined barrels can be off centered. I have a few.
    My Richmond carbine is way off, but it is a cut down Euro Arms Richmond.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by MR. GADGET View Post
    To revisit this.
    If you use a .500" plug gauge to measure you measured the dia of the lands.
    Only way to measure the groove would be to slug the barrel or have the cutter.
    As you stated if you have .015" deep rifling your groove dia would be .015" + .500" + .015" to get to the true groove to groove dia. Being .530"
    This is the reason I stated it is more likely you have a depth of .0075" or .015" overall
    Most I have sluged or measures will take a .500" gauge plug and slug close to .515"
    Being you want full contact, for a lead bullet norm is to go .001" to .002" over
    That is why most shoot a .515" to .517" sized bullet.

My smith took a .500" plug as in this case. I shot an RCBS smith bullet mold sized at .520" with no leading.
    It shot better with a .517" as normal loads.
    I digress sir. It was my figures that were off. I'm such an idiot. And I was a machinist for a number of years. Ugh. Apologies to all.
    Jeff Kiser
    6509V
    Jeff Davis Legion

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I've had probably over 100 barrel blanks made by Hoyt for my Maynard barrels and quite a few lined by Hoyt. The bore size on his blanks generally runs between .499" and .500". My .499" pin gage will go in all of them and my .500" pin gage will go in some tightly. My gages are minus gages. His groove size runs between .515" and .518" by my measurements at the deepest part. The proper bullet size is generally .001" over the groove diameter. Lead hardness and different powder charges can have an effect on the best bullet size. Experimentation with your barrel is the best way to determine this. BP Shooter, load it up and go shooting. You have nothing to worry about.