Thread: Cataract surgery and sight picture

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Cataract surgery and sight picture

Greetings

Just went shooting for the first time after having surgery for cataracts. After the surgery the world became a much brighter place and things were much clearer and sharper.

However, in shooting yesterday, I noticed something peculiar. Shooting was done with Parker Hale M1858 rifle, with long range sight. The front sight was very clear and sharp. But in focusing on the front sight, the targets were VERY blurry, much more so than in the past.. Not looking through the sight, and just looking at the targets themselves, the targets were sharp and clear. But viewing through sight, targets were fuzzy.

Anyone had this experience, and if so, what was your remedy? Most of the guns I shoot (with the exception of those with tang peep sights) have sights located where the M1858 sight is located.

Vision, according to doc is about 20/20 and 20/30 now.

Your advice is appreciated.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I,m assuming most of your guns are open sighted. Going to a rear peep will sharpen up your through sight target some. I shoot a Mississippi with a peep and this is whar I have done. FYI start out with a hole of .087" or so. I am 73 and have gone to .105".

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by keweenaw View Post
    Greetings

Just went shooting for the first time after having surgery for cataracts. After the surgery the world became a much brighter place and things were much clearer and sharper.

However, in shooting yesterday, I noticed something peculiar. Shooting was done with Parker Hale M1858 rifle, with long range sight. The front sight was very clear and sharp. But in focusing on the front sight, the targets were VERY blurry, much more so than in the past.. Not looking through the sight, and just looking at the targets themselves, the targets were sharp and clear. But viewing through sight, targets were fuzzy.

Anyone had this experience, and if so, what was your remedy? Most of the guns I shoot (with the exception of those with tang peep sights) have sights located where the M1858 sight is located.

Vision, according to doc is about 20/20 and 20/30 now.

Your advice is appreciated.
    We are only capable of focusing clearly on one thing at a time. When we were younger, it seemed like we could focus on rear sight, front sight and the target and all three were in focus. Not so; we were able to focus quickly on each of them and it seemed like we had all three in focus, but they weren't.

The important thing to concentrate on is the front sight; the target and the rear sight will both be fuzzy, but that is normal. Repeat after me: front sight, trigger squeeze-front sight- trigger squeeze, front sight, trigger squeeze....
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I had cataract surgery last year, merit and lyman both sell eye pieces S&S sells them. They have helped me.
    Try the lyman first, less exspensive. jmho

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

sight picture

Thanks for the responses. What I noticed after the surgery was that when I focused on the front sight, which is what I always do, the targets were substantially more blurry than before the surgery. Actually, just looking at the target directly, they are crystal clear and sharp. Perhaps focal length differences with the new lenses???

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Sight Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T. View Post
    I had cataract surgery last year, merit and lyman both sell eye pieces S&S sells them. They have helped me.
    Try the lyman first, less exspensive. jmho
    Merit I believe has stopped making the sights. Try the EyePal, it's really inexpensive and many people have said it works great. Much easier to use than the Lyman.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Sadly, Merit is no longer in production and the only ones still available are those still in inventories.

Here's a direct replacement for the Merit that works the exact same way-

https://gehmann.com/english/products...7&kategorie=31

I've found the only distributors for this are in Canada. That doesn't mean one of the vendors that caters to competition shooters won't pick it up though.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Eye Pal - Merit Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by PoorJack View Post
    Sadly, Merit is no longer in production and the only ones still available are those still in inventories.

Here's a direct replacement for the Merit that works the exact same way-

https://gehmann.com/english/products...7&kategorie=31

I've found the only distributors for this are in Canada. That doesn't mean one of the vendors that caters to competition shooters won't pick it up though.
    You might also try going to EyePalUSA.com. People who have used these say very good things about the product and the company. Inexpensive as well.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

peep sights

I have used peep sights in the past but they were on the tang and so close to the eye. They worked fine, but I dont particularly care for them. With the long range rear sight, it seems the peep is too far away. I know I can open it up, but I suspect that will not help much in accuracy or clarity. Before the surgery, my distance sighting was pretty good, but had an astigmatism. I opted for the for surgery by laser to correct the astigmatism, and things seem strangely different.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've seen someone post the Gehmann product before, but for the life of me could not figure out how to order the dang thing. I have a Merit, but I'm gonna try the EyePal. My wife is getting to where she needs something too. I'm gonna let her use the other EyePal, as they come in pairs unless you order the one with both rifle and Handgun. Knock on wood, so far I don't have trouble with seeing the sights on handguns.